myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

Adventures in BWeek

Last week wrapped up Carlson's 51st annual Business Week (or BWeek for short). Each spring, students, staff, and faculty gather for a special week to celebrate the business school with special events, games, and lots of free food. 

The theme of this year's BWeek was "Do One Thing." We were challenged to commit to doing one thing to help better ourselves, our community, or both. To celebrate the theme, Carlson kicked off its new DOT ("Do One Thing") campaign. Students and faculty filled out a "dot" with their new commitment, which are all hanging downstairs in our Undergraduate Lounge. It's fun to see what everyone has committed to. Goals range from taking the stairs instead of the elevator, eating more local food, not procrastinating, and spending more time with family and friends. My "dot" is to support my friends and their dreams. It's a very neat campaign, and its launch during BWeek really brought the Carlson community together.

Another great gathering of the Carlson community during BWeek is the Business Day Dinner. Held on the last night of BWeek, we culminate the week with a delicious dinner, keynote speaker, and the awards for Faculty, Staff, and Students of the Year. This year's speaker was Jason Barger, author of "Step Back from the Baggage Claim: Change the World, Start at the Airport." He challenged us to step back from our everyday lives and look at those around us while contemplating the type of organizational and corporate culture we want to create in the world. It was a great message that touched both our professional and personal lives. It also made for a great lead-in to the introduction of our DOT campaign!   

And speaking of great dinners... This year I got the chance to attend the BWeek Etiquette Dinner. It was a fun evening of learning which way to pass the bread, how to signal if you're finished eating, and how to have a conversation and eat your meal at the same time. It was a fun experience that let me learn some new skills and meet some new classmates! 

BWeek is one of my favorite weeks of the year. There's so much going on and it's so fun to see the whole Carlson community together. Be sure to check out Courtney's blog to hear about her BWeek adventures!