myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

Preparing for Finals

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

That's right, it's finals season! That last hurdle you have to jump before finally going home for winter break. Finals are not fun. Whatever form they may come in-- be it papers, presentations, or the good old traditional exam. But, they are manageable! Here are some pieces of advice to hopefully help you get through the end of the semester so you can have a relaxing, peaceful winter break!

1. Prepare Early! 
I know now it's a little late to prepare early, but take note for next semester. There's not much worse than getting to the end of the semester and remembering you haven't done the required readings since the third week of classes. Keeping up with your classes is the most important thing you can do to prepare for exams. Get your notes together as the semester is entering its last couple of weeks, start setting up study groups-- just be prepared! Because once you get to the last week of classes, you won't have any time! Save yourself the stress and do it early. 

2. Get some SLEEP!
It may be tempting to pull an all-nighter the night before an exam, especially if you put off studying until the very end (a bad choice! But I think we've all been there...). But don't! Your brain will already be tired from the frenzy of finals, and pulling an all-nighter will only end up making you want to use your exam as a pillow. Make sure to get enough sleep before and during finals so that your brain is at its best!

3. Take a break.
Finals are a stressful time, so make sure you step back from it all and take a break. Have some fun! For example, this past week I had two exams in one day. So after it all, I ordered a MASSIVE pizza for my friends and I to eat while watching High School Musical 2. It was great. And much needed! It's important to take a break every once in a while to keep up morale and make studying more fun. 

Finals are just another part of being a college student. They're inevitable, so you might as well keep positive and they'll be over before you know it. So, here's wishing you a wonderful finals week- and now I'm off to study!