myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

A walk down memory lane: Carlson and Hanson Hall

Spacious, bright, friendly faces, relaxing. These are only a few of the words that describe the Carlson School of Management and Hanson Hall building. Both of these buildings were built and designed for Carlson students so that we could have a quiet place to study, do group work, and even catch up with friends.  

My name is Erik Lean, and as a senior at Carlson, I have spent most of my past four years in these two buildings, and I have enjoyed every minute of it (even on those long nights doing group projects or studying for finals!). Looking back at all of my memories here at Carlson, there are so many things that I'm going to miss once I graduate. 

carlson.jpg

I remember when I first came to the U of M as a freshman. I had classes all over campus in all different buildings, and it was a bit intimidating trying to navigate through all them all, especially in the winter. That's the nice thing about being a Carlson student. By the time you're a sophomore, you along with all your classmates and friends will have most of your classes in either Carlson or Hanson. Better yet, both buildings are connected by a skyway, so you'll never have to go outside in the winter. 

Some of my favorite memories about the Carlson building were late night study sessions in the breakout rooms with friends. Breakout rooms are small meeting rooms in the Carlson and Hanson buildings that Carlson students can reserve for studying or group projects. There are dozens of them with all different sizes. I remember one semester when six of us stayed there until 2 am, ordered pizza, chatted on Facebook (when we should have been studying), and got some McDonalds. It was a blast.

The best thing about Hanson is hands down the Starbucks! Yep, there is a Starbuck inside the building so you don't even have to go outside in the winter to get your coffee. Right before class every day, whether it's 8:00 am or 3:30 pm, you'll see students, professors, and staff all lining up to get their daily dose of caffeine. I am also one of these caffeine enthusiasts. Whenever I need to meet with someone, we just meet at Starbucks for a chat over coffee. It's so convenient.

These are only a few of my favorite things about Carlson and Hanson. There are so many more memories that I could go on and on, but I figure you might not want to hear me ramble on for too long. If you want to know the rest, we would love to give you a tour of our facilities! 

hanson.jpg

Hanson Hall Atrium