myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

Beginning your Career Search

Whenever I stroll the hallways of Carlson and bump into a fellow senior, the same questions always emerge as we catch up and share our experiences this semester so far: "So where are you going after graduation?"

Career Search, it's one of these things that has always been in the back of my mind since sophomore year - from internship search to actual full-time job search. Maybe not so apparent during freshmen year but as you move up in seniority it starts to become a focus, not only because you hear of your peers getting offers to intern at company XYZ, but because the Undergraduate Business Career Center (UBCC) does a phenomenal job encouraging students to apply to internships and providing students with workshops.

Being a senior, I can't even begin to describe how thankful I am for the opportunities I've had and the people that have helped me on the way that has led me to be able to say that I have multiple full-time job offers for after graduation. I didn't have to stress about being unemployed, but I had to stress about which job to pick. I'm not a special case, most of my fellow senior classmates also are in the same predicament, what should we choose?

So what is the ABC of the Career Search? In my opinion three things:
1. Network
2. Your thrive to succeed
3. Resources available to you

Networking, as a Carlson student it's one of these buzzwords that you will hear over and over again, but it's so true! Networking can be the single most important thing in finding a job and Carlson has done a phenomenal job connecting students with prospective employees. I have been able to get two of my three internships solely through networking. I didn't even submit an application online for either of them - awesome.

Your thrive to succeed, being a Carlson student there is always an inherent competitive atmosphere in all my classes but it also really fosters a strong tight-knit community of students. Not only do we encourage each other to push ourselves to the best we can be by competing for As and jobs but more importantly we help each other out - by practicing interviews together, conducing case interviews and sharing our experiences interviewing. The Carlson culture really nurtures a culture that encourages students to really push ourselves to succeed.

Resources, by that I mean what services the UBCC offers and I'm probably the greatest advocate for the UBCC you will meet because I absolutely love the UBCC. Let me rewind, my freshman year I applied to a job at Dairy Queen and other service jobs, I got rejected for most  of the jobs I applied to but Dairy Queen finally called me back. My interviewing skills were so bad that I failed the interview miserably. Being discouraged and in desperate need of help I was referred to the UBCC by a friend, so I decided to give it a try and go in one day. Within weeks I Was transformed, after countless mock interviews and meeting with peer career coaches - upper classman who have been successful in their job search - and attending several career workshops, I was a job search machine - unstoppable. Within a year during my sophomore year I was able to land two internships, one with Travelers Insurance Company during my spring and one with PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) - a big four public accounting firm - for the summer. I was ecstatic. Needless to say my success continued and this past summer I was able to intern with PwC again but in New York (!)

In retrospect not only going through the job search but mastering the job search during my time at Carlson was quite a fun feat and now I can finally say...I made it!