myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

Carpe Diem!

Carlson trains us to take ourselves very seriously. Every moment spent on something other than advancing our career is a moment wasted, right? Every unscheduled evening is a signal of personal failure, right? We are adults, after all, aren't we?

Now winter break is upon us and we are all hearing all about everyone shipping out to start their new internships or to study abroad or to take January term classes. I would like to be able to say the same, but I can't.

Not for lack of trying, of course. I too succumb to the Carlson sickness. That distressing feeling we get whenever we're not improving, not excelling.

But sometimes things don't go exactly as we had imagined them. Sometimes plans fall through. My plans fell through.

Now, I am taking my winter break to enjoy some serious me-time. I am going to go roller skating. I am going to go to a movie, to a restaurant, to the zoo. I am going to have a bonfire. I am going to go sledding and ice skating. I am going to spend some well-needed time with the most important people in my life-my brother and sister.

Abbi and Jake
I am going to take full advantage of one of the last times in my life that I am able to just be a kid. And I've finally come to grips with the fact that this doesn't make me a failure.

Everyone, even we Carlson kids, needs to take a step back once in a while and just live for the moment.