myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

LeaderShape!

So I want to let you guys know about another opportunity offered to Carlson students here at the U. It's the awesomest thing--LeaderShape. During January of last year, I attended the LeaderShape Institute, hosted by Carlson and the College of Science and Engineering. All I knew is that it was a 6-day program and that for some (pretty good, apparently) reason, every person I asked that had attended the year before said it was amazing. Not much more than that, though. Hm.
But hey, why not? So I left my home in Milwaukee a week before our winter break ended, packed up some clothes and snacks and was on my way. I got on the bus to camp Iduhapi. But I apparently chose the one with all of the Science and Engineering students, not Carlson. Oops. I imagined that as my first faux-pas of many that would be coming over the next 6 days.  Thankfully, I ended up being very wrong. 
Leadershape is a program that pushes people. It's open, and faux-pas are not really possible. For the last 6 years, the Carlson School and the College of Science and Engineering have teamed up to provide this program to 30 of their students every year, and this combination of students is great, especially with the collaboration and idea-sharing Leadershape is all about. The atmosphere created by the Leadershape program is one of a safe environment. Students can share all of the ideas, values, and passions they believe in. The different viewpoints brought by the students of different U of M colleges and backgrounds make for a rich environment of discussion and debate. These aren't the kind of discussions you find every day.
 I feel like I grew more in those 6 days than I've done in a semester, and I often think fondly about the lessons I learned and conversations I had. Even though it wasn't always easy, I got insight into ways of thinking I had never thought about before, inspiration to do something meaningful, and a connection to so many wonderful people, both here in Carlson and across the river at the College of Science and Engineering. 

If you want to look into it more, here is the link to Leadershape's Facebook page:

At the very least, they have great quotes and stories of people's Leadershape experiences!

I hope you check it out, and get excited that you could have such great experiences here at Carlson and the University of Minnesota! :)