myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

The Big Choice

So you've done it all. You've taken tours of all your potential schools, heard hundreds of statistics and student testimonies, filled out endless applications, and been accepted to your dream schools. Congratulations! You're just a step away from being a college student! Too bad that this final step--the picking the right college step--is the hardest of them all. But it doesn't have to be! There are ways to calmly and objectively figure out which college is the right one for you. 

For instance, when I was a senior, I was accepted to my big three colleges--the ones I just had to go to at all costs. When making my college decision, I decided to weight the pros and cons of all three schools, even taking twenty minutes to write out a list for each school. Some factors to consider: school location, school size, school programs available to you, cost of attendance, living situations, and many more. Whatever is important to you should play a factor in your pro-cons list! 

Now, as much as I believe in this list method, if there's one thing I've learned about choosing the right college, it's all about fit. Fit means that when you walk around campus, you're happy to be there. You're in a place where you're a valued member of the community, where you know you belong. Figuring out the fit of an institution isn't as hard as you'd think! In fact, many schools (Carlson included) welcome potential students to shadow current students to classes, to really feel the vibe of that school. I was able to shadow students during my decision process, and it was then that the University of Minnesota really just clicked with me. It was this gut-feeling that guided me to become a Gopher, and to this day, I'm one-hundred percent certain I made the best choice and got the best fit for me personally. 

And so I challenge you! Make your lists, explore your campuses, dig down deep and think about what you're really looking for. If you do, you'll discover you knew what college was the right one all along!