myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

Memories of Freshman Year

I have a lot of great memories from Freshman year and there is a lot to do here on campus! On the social side of coming to college I found it exciting moving into the dorm and meeting my roommates for the first time, cheering on the Gopher hockey teams all winter, and crowd surfing during the rapper Theophilus London's concert during Spring Jam (a homecoming equivalent that the University has during the spring). Other favorites of mine are much more academic like going to my first business class at Carlson, experiencing the career fair, and pulling my first all-nighter resulting in me acing the test the next day!

The best way to make memories you're freshman year is to get involved.The University of Minnesota is a big school but there are tons of ways to find a community on campus, especially in Carlson. My first semester on campus I actually participated in around 10 different Carlson or University of Minnesota activities/groups/clubs, including joining the Investment and Finance Organization, joining an intramural soccer team, and even briefly checking out the fencing club (not joking) Now ten was too many, but finding a few on campus first semester is a great way to make friends to make memories with.

A favorite memory of mine from my Carlson involvement was competing in my first case competition. In a case competition you team up with other students and are given a business case for a company that includes basic information about the company, its industry, and some threats its facing. You then as a team have 48 hours to come up with a strategy on where the company should go next. When the time is up you present this information panel of judges, and you're rated on your findings as well as your presentation. 

Just a couple months into my first year I decided to make a team with three classmates from my introductory management class. None of us had done anything like it before but we thought it would be fun to do so we gave it a try. Even though we didn't know what to expect we did our best and ended up getting third in the competition! In the moment I was excited about the small monetary award and the free t-shirt, but looking back the true value was the experience. The project helped me get to know my three classmates better and today all three of my teammates are still great friends. 

When you guys/gals come to campus don't be overwhelmed by the size or number of opportunities, just dive in! You'll find your niche on campus, meet some lifelong friends, and end up with awesome memories of your freshman year!