myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

The Winter is Coming...

I am here in Minneapolis, Minnesota, THE coldest city in the United States. This is the place where the average temperature is so low, it is only rational to walk into the freezer to stay warm. This is the place where it is only natural to be afraid to step outside. For people who are not used to such harsh winter like this one, this is the time of the year when they start to ask themselves why they had moved to Minnesota. I am no exception.  However, as frosty and painful as the winter is here, it is very beautiful, and there are many fun, wintry activities that make Minnesota one of a kind. Surviving Winter in MN, contrary to popular beliefs, is not so difficult!

Never have I ever blown a bubble and held it in my hand to watch it freeze nor sled down the frozen waterfall as an entertainment before I came to Minnesota. If you are, however, looking for something more conventional, there are countless ski resorts for winter sports and activities like snowboarding and dog-sledding that will make you forget about the cold instantly. Surprisingly, winter is a great season to embrace the nature and explore the winter landscape. With some preparation and know-how, mountain-biking and hiking can be year-round pursuits in Minnesota.

It is also very important to stay warm at all time and keep yourself healthy. Minnesota winter is no place for a diet; you need as much wholesome and hearty meals as possible. A nice hot dish would be wonderful. Do whatever you have to do to make yourself cozy--a pair of wool socks, a down comforter, and a box of hand warmers would be smart choices. 

I am not going to lie. 'Harsh' is the easiest way to describe the wintry weather in Minnesota, and most of the time, I just want to stay home and watch Netflix, sipping a cup of tea, but if you try hard enough, you will never find yourself bored in winter and remain healthy and sound. In fact, there are close to 400,000 people living in Minneapolis alone; surviving winter in Minnesota should not be too bad, right?