Week 2 Definition:

Last Week's Definition: Leadership is directing, supporting, and organizing a group of people to accomplish a certain goal. In order to be effective, leaders should gain the trust of the group, provide members with compassion, build hope, and create stability, while also remaining true to their own personality characteristics (Rath & Conchie, 2008).

Rath, T., & Conchie, B. (2008). Strengths Based Leadership. New York, NY:Gallup Press.

This Week's Definition: Leadership is directing, supporting, inspiring, and organizing a group of people to accomplish a certain goal. In order to be effective, leaders should gain the trust of the group, provide members with compassion, build hope and create stability, while also remaining true to their own personality characteristics (Rath & Conchie, 2008). Leadership can be displayed in a number of ways including being a visionary, a coach, by creating harmony and connecting people, taking a democratic approach, by pacesetting, or by commanding (Goleman, Boyatzis, & McKee, 2002).

Goleman, D., Boyatziz, R., & McKee, A. (2002) "The leadership repertoire." Primal leadership: Learning to lead with emotional intelligence (pp. 53 - 69). Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.

Explanation: I kept a lot of my definition the same. I felt that last week's reading, which talked about trust and playing on your strengths, and an original thought about the main goals of a leader, were still ideas that I agreed with. In addition to those ideas, from this week's reading, I added the different ways a leader can go about leading. I believe that showing the different ways to lead will create a broader definition of leadership, which is how I believe it should be. There is not one specific definition or example of leadership. I believe, after reading this week's and last week's readings and looking at many different examples of leaders from these readings, that each person takes all of the different areas and aspects of a leader in order to create their own leadership platform based on their personality and what is right for them. Thus, there are probably as many approaches to leadership as there are people in the world.

Nice thoughts. In your analysis you focus on what is right for the leader. Consider also thinking about what is right for the organization, perhaps?

Grade: 10 out of 10