« Economic Situation Discussion | Main | "It's a New Day!": A little celebratin' before the REAL work starts »

Clips to help think through / inspire FORM(!) [ we will watch some of these in class this Friday]

A short narrative using all still photos (documentation of filmmaker's everyday life):

For AÑO UÑA, Jonás Cuarón began taking photographs throughout one year, spontaneous images of people in their everyday lives, with neither posing nor staging. Jonás knew while taking the photographs that he would use them to make a film, but there was no plot because the recorded events followed the characters, themes and stories of the year.

At the end of the year, Jonás and Eireann Harper completed an installation in which they mounted the thousands of photographic images in one room, ordered in scenes composed of shots. Consistencies began to emerge. Two people in particular reoccurred, Jonás’ girlfriend, Eireann, and his brother Diego. They became the narrative’s protagonists

There is a UK competition inspiring others to make similarly stylized shorts: http://www.anounacompetition.co.uk/

+ + +
[this is a narrative, NOT doc piece, but shows you other forms of all stills]

Between You and Me - dir. by Patryk Rebisz
Award-winning short film shot with still camera. Over 2000 photographs were stitched together to form movement.

+ + +
[from CURRENT TV

I always felt uneasy with the idea of guided tour of a slum as part of a tourist itinerary of Rio de Janeiro - is it just shameless voyeurism or a way to experience the favela, where many argue lies the cultural heart of the city? For this film, I embark on a rather unusual journey to experience first-hand this new industry of favela tourism - from cruising through Rochina in the back of a jeep with a bunch of scared tourists to staying in a Favela Hotel wondering if the gunshots will keep me up at night. Along the way I speak to tourists, residents and guides to find out whether favela tourism helps the community or exploits - bindumathur, filmmaker

+ + +
[also about Brazilian favelas (projects)]

trailer for "Favela Rising" (we will watch clips from the DVD in class]

+ + +
[stuff I linked Amanda to for her piece about feminism & music, but i thought you might enjoy also!]

trailer for "don't need you"

girls rock! the movie