If you are visiting our site:

Welcome to the midterm digital story assignment posts for our course.

Digital Storytelling is the practice of using digital media (computer-based technology tools) to tell stories.

Digital Storytelling is the modern expression of the ancient art of storytelling. Digital stories derive their power by weaving images, music, narrative and voice together, thereby giving deep dimension and vivid color to characters, situations, experiences, and insights. Tell your story now digitally. - Leslie Rule, Digital Storytelling Association

Our students started by reading Co-Instructor, Professor Walter R. Jacobs' ghostbox: a memoir, as a way to "conjure up our personal and social ghosts" (which is great material for stories). We used Joe Lambert's approach to digital storytelling at the Center for Digital Storytelling in the Bay Area.

Students learned about types of stories, did writing (using image-based prompts), shared their stories in a story circle, and learned Final Cut Express. What you see below (and under the category 3. OUR STORIES [midterm projects] are their first projects. Few students came in with technical or storytelling experience and others are brand new to creative writing, storytelling, and digital media.

ENJOY! and leave our students comments!

[TECHNICAL NOTE: UThink blogs have been displaying extra spaces for visitors using Firefox; this does not change the content of the site, just the aesthetics. So if you are experiencing "funny" spacing, please use an alternate browser. Thanks!]

Best,
Rachel
Co-Instructor

Life...

Media Mill Video

FINALLY!

IT IS FINALLY FINISHED..1001.1MB..incase u were wondering..

REMEMBER

Continue reading "REMEMBER" »

Syressa's Digital Story: Phoenix

I am a Sophomore at the University of Minnesota majoring in African-American Studies and Art History. My grandmother has consistently been the most powerful influence in my life, and I would never have made it here without her. This video is for her and for all the things she's ever done for me.

ELAINA'S STORY ........

Continue reading "ELAINA'S STORY ........" »

Jessica's digital story...enjoy!

This is not a love story...it's a story of love.

The Dream's Story

How do you look at life knowing you could of made a difference?...Can you still make a difference?
Is there still TIME LEFT, or is it too LATE?...The decision is for you to make and move FORWARD!!!

White Teacher

This is a story examining my time teaching in Brooklyn, New York. Through layering of images, voice, and music, I try to explore my memories as I've stored them in my mind. In many ways my memories are limited focusing only on certain aspects. This story is an attempt to open up that past and perhaps re-remember these moments in new ways in order to reshape how I view myself now.

What about your friends?

Media Mill Video

Meme: My Grandmother

Media Mill Video

I have always enjoyed and admired my grandmother's (Meme's) paintings and piano playing.

Abby's Story

The farm on which I grew up on was a vital part of my childhood and made me into the person I am today.

Saoie's Story

This piece takes on the perspective of a doll and conveys the feelings of the relationship between the doll master and doll, itself. It talks about the feelings and the thoughts of being a doll and how it feels to be a doll.

DigiStory

Hello Vistors, First of all I would like to say thank you for taking time to view my digital story and I hope you enjoy! The name of the movie is "DigiStory" on the blog (but the original name is "Smiling in the Face of Danger"). This mini-movie is about my two year-old little cousin who was diagnosed with cancer and she survive the whole process of Chemo and surgeries.

Media Mill Video

tameka's digital story

My digital story, "family" is about obviously my family, but particularly my mom leaving Minnesota and returning to Memphis.

sophia's digital story

This Digital story is about two strong women in my family, my Grandma and my Mother. Many pictures through their lives are shown.

Displace Me

The Boundary Waters

This story is about a trip that my friends and I took to the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota after our senior year of high school. I had never really been camping or on a canoe trip before, and it was definitely a first (and maybe last).

Tara's Digital Story

This is a story about my family and friends told through a series of photographs. ENJOY!

Download file