Recently in 5. Final Course Reflection Category

Evie's Final

Over the course of these past six weeks I have learned a lot from both my writing class and this class my digital storytelling one. I have learned that if I push myself I can accomplish things I didn't think I would be able to and that I am more creative than I originally thought. I really enjoyed this class and I liked how helpful everyone was all the time. Thanks so much for this great opportunity and sharing what you know about making videos!

Tiffany's Final Course Reflection

Sorry I didn't post this on the blog in the first place. :(

This project was probably the most difficult part of the entire Bridge program for me. Looking back, I feel this was both a good thing and a bad thing. I feel it's a bad thing, because in the end I honestly don't believe my video reached its fullest potential. On the other had I feel it is a good thing because I learned numerous valuable lessons upon the course of completion. For instance, I learned it's very helpful to have a plan, whether it be a storyboard, an outline, or even basic notes on where you're going with the project. In the previous project, I really took advantage of the in class exercises we did, and they really helped to shape my project. This time, however, it was really up to us to come up with our own strategies that would best help us complete the project. Another thing I learned was to not procrastinate. I've had various experiences that should have served as reason to never ever procrastinate again. But I truly belive that this experience, with working with Orlando and staying up till 8 in the morning! really did teach me to not procrastinate.

One of the things that I did different this time was I worked in a group. I did my final project with Orlando. I know there's the phrase "two heads are better than one" but there were plenty times that having two people didn't make the project easier, but twice as hard. Because, even while you could split the numerous tasks, there were many times that you had to consider two points of view rather than just deciding something and moving on. Don't get me wrong though, in the end, I am very happy that I worked with Orlando. I'm glad because we had a nice balance in the work load, also because we both had great ideas when it came to constructing the project.

The hardest part of the project for Orlando and I was definitely coming up with a topic. First, we thought we wanted to do kind of a humorus piece that would focus on the issue of violence, and we would create a music video to the song beat it by Michael Jackson...problem, we only had two people in our group.  Next, we decided to do a Digital Storytelling project on Homelessness, we were going to focus on homelessness and poverty in Minneapolis. We were supposably going to collect footage and photos  from around downtown Minneapolis ...how? We didn't have a clue, and we still don't. The third idea we had was to switch our focus from poverty to consumerism in the U.S...We honestly thought that we were going to go with this idea. We probably spent two days collecting media and pictures for this particular idea. When we worked on this topic, however, we had no drive. We didn't have a gift, and we didn't feel connected to the project. Realizing this dilemma was hard for us, but it was critical for us to recognize this problem and fix it, and the only way to do that was change our topic. I can remember that moment in time exactly "Orlando..."

"Yeah Tiffany?"

"I hate to say it but..."

"But what?"

"I think we need to...switch our topic..." 

"...*sigh* your right...what are we gonna do?"

Mind you this occurred Wednesday, the day before the rough cut was due. We then brainstormed again and miraculously came up with a topic that no one could've ever guessed. Kidding, we chose dnace and piano!

We quickly got started on this project gathing media. We were gather mostly photos and also youtube videos along with a voice over track and then music too. Being that we changed out topic so late, we were working on it we spent a lot of time on the day that we decided to change it the first time. After about twelve hours, we had a minute of roughly edited footage, which for us was good.  After another loooong day of tedius work, last minute filiming, picture taking, photo uploading, interviews, constructing, repetitive rendering, and massive deadly errors...we finally had our piece.

As I said earlier, I really wish that I would've been more organized in my approach to the entire program. This really brings me back to Lambert and the different approaches to finishing the project that he gives us such as writing exercises and what not. Also, another thing that Lambert shares that really helps with story building in general is the seven elements. Paying attention to these elements would've have helped Orlando and I to choose a topic that we were emotionally attached to a lot sooner.

Also, looking at other articles I found on academic search premier like Mastering Digital Media by Jenniger Dempski and even First Person Singular: The Power of Digital Storytelling by Genevieve Tucker, and also based on what I learned in class, it has been made clear the power that Digital storytelling can have if you use it well. So I've learned that only in approaching the video with the correct manner  can your have its fullest potential.

I have really enjoyed this class and all that I've learned. Both the good and the bad. I'm glad that I am able to see what I did wrong and learn from it.

Personally, I want to say it has been a privilege to be in your class, you have inspired me to do whatever I want regardless of what the statistics say. Again congrats on your Doctorate, I know you'll go far!!

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Balamurugan, Anasuya. "Fostering Community through Digital Storytelling: A Guide for Academic Libraries." Program: Electronic Library & Information Systems 43.1 (2009): 112-3.

Demski, Jennifer. "Mastering Digital Media." T H E Journal 36.4 (2009): 19-.

Tucker, Genevieve. "First Person Singular: The Power of Digital Storytelling." Screen Education.42 (2006): 54-8.

At the beginning of this class i did not want to be apart of it at all. I thought i was just goint to be a class filled with a lady just telling us what to do on a computer. I came to realize after the first week that this class was goin to be one of my favorite. this class really assured that you cant judge a book by its cover. During this class I experienced some feelings and emotions that i didnt think i had. Just stories and life experiences helped people and myself understand one another. I feel that this is the hardest i've ever worked in any class in my life. I really enjoyed this class along with the teacher and the TA's. I will always remeber this class and the life long experiences.

From this Journey, I will take...

During the course, Digital Storytelling I learned about what a true story is, a chapter in our lives, a fragment of our human being. A story is a reflection of who we truly are. Digital Storytelling showed me that I am scared to show everyone who I truly am. I am scared to face my obstacles and conquer them. It opened my mind to a realm of release. Some of us are able to take our life stories and share them freely; luckily I was able to learn this from this class. No matter where my feet choose to take me, no matter where I choose to travel in my life, this class and the lessons learned from it will go with me, for the information is vital. We discover ourselves through stories, without them we are lost. We have no sense of direction in life without a story to help us discover. Digital Storytelling has taught me a little more about me and where I am going in life. It has taught me the struggles I face are easier to overcome through stories. It has taught me the true meaning of a story.

Jasmine Dittrich's Final Reflection

[From this incredible journey I will take...]

Journey is the best way to describe this class.  Ironically I have always been interested in the creation of movies, videos and cartoons.  I often wonder what it would be like if I created my own personal video.  In this class I was given the opportunity to do that.  I learned more that I thought I would in while taking this course.  I was never really aware of how much time and work it take to edit a video.  Throughout this journey I have learned more about myself as well.  Knowing that I have always had a passion of writing poetry, I was curious as to what I would ever be able to do with it.  Normally my poems just sit in a notebook.  In this class I was able to put my words to use (literally).  For as long as I can remember I have been very apprehensive about sharing my writing and words with others.  Obviously, I have gotten over it, for the most part, despite the strong apprehension.  

I never expected to have fun in a college class, also I never expected to be so determined to start and finish work in a class.  This class changed my prior thoughts.  I am incredibly grateful and feel very fortunate and lucky to have had the opportunity to participate in this digital storytelling class, along with watching others digital stories.  I am glad that I chose this class instead of the CLU!! 

Lastly, I want to thank Rachel and Eddie you two really helped me and were able to give me useful feedback and advice on my work! 

Final Blog Post

From this journey, I will take the knowledge I have received in my classes and this program as a whole. I have learned a lot about writing, digital storytelling and myself. I learned how to better write a paper, I have learned how to express myself through digital media, and I have met many great people through this process. I do not regret one minute of this summer. I learned that everyone has their own stories, and all of them are important. Do not judge people just by their stories or appearance, but themselves as a whole. I have also learned to better manage my time, because in college you have a lot of work, but you also have much empty space, and I've learned to use my time for efficiently.

In the end, I feel like I have done a lot with my summer, instead of just letting it go to waste. I now also want to create more digital stories, and put much more time into them, because I have seen what we can do in a small amount of time.

Thank you.

Justin Frederiksen

Final Course Reflection

Mario Lamar Terrell II

From this journey I will take...

The importance and passion of the true storytelling art form and its concepts. I will take theory in account for anything I choose to do and life, as well as practice and reflection. I will take the knowledge and connections I have made as well as the gift of storytelling. I will take great pride, honor, trials, and tribulations I have experienced with being a bridge student. I will take the influences from Rachel as well as Eddie and Syressa. I will take all of the skills that I developed over these past six weeks as well as new knowledge of Bridge mates and myself. I will take time management skills and I will also take the mistakes I have made as a bridge student with me, so I do not have to learn the hard way anymore. I will take a great education as well as connections along with all of my passions, on this great, long, challenging, but fun four-year journey!

I would like to take the time to thank all of the staff, faculty, and students of the bridge program for the greatest six weeks of my life. I will never forget these moments for the rest of my life.  

Saajan's Final Blog Post

This class was amazing. In the beginning of this program, i didn't really know what to expect. I knew that we were going to edit videos but i didn't know we were going to use macs to edit. As we began the class, i was intimidated by the reading. After the first weeks, I saw that the reading wasn't to bad.

I have learned many things through Digital Storytelling. One thing i've learned was time management. If you don't use your time wisely, you will for surely fall behind and you'll have to pu moe time in to catch back up.

Another thing i've learned was PRAXIS. Theory, practice, critical reflection. I think this is sweet because this process goes through your head sometimes without you thinking about it. I will definetly use this in the future here at the University of Minnesota.

Another thing is that I am able to express my feelings with Digital Storytelling. When you make one, you can share it with friends, family, and the whole world. I am a quiet person but, this class and program has changed me in the fact that i am able to interact with people and make friendship.

Thank You so much Rachel, Eddie, Syressa and the Bridge Program. This has been a great summer without regret. I really didn't want to come here because this took up my whole summer but, now as I think about it, I'm glad I took advantage of this. This made me grow as an individual and it prepared me for the next 4 years.

From this journey, I will take many things such as time management, developing friendships, and best of all, enjoying college life. I learned how to use a mac which was surprising to me. This whole experience at the Bridge Program is a memorable program I will cherish. Thanks again to all my teachers, assisstants, classmates, and friends! Hope to see you all in the fall year!

Evan's Final Course Reflection

At first, I wasn't sure what to expect from this class. I had previously had a very had experience with video making. I soon saw, however, that this class was going to be an amazing opportunity.  Because of this class, I feel like I'm much more prepared for college in the fall, including the stress, privileges and responsibilities that come with it.

I also like how we were able to take a picture and tell a story. Because of this class, I feel like I can express myself through pictures far better than I could before. I learned how to take a normal picture and provide the listener to my story a window that she can use to see into my life. Looking at a picture will never be the same again. I had an amazing time in this class, and will always remember it as a great start to my college career.

Thank you very much to Rachel, Eddie, and Syressa for all their help.
-Evan Hoel

Pa's Final Reflection

From this journey I would take....

I would take the patience, Final Cute skills, and the organization that I had developed from this class. I would also take the idea that a story will always be a gift.

I had learned so much from this class and I don't regret taking this class one bit. I love every bit of this class! The instructor is wonderful, the work of this course taught me so much about myself. I feel like I had learned a new voice. This voice is not the voice of language, or a voice through writing. But this voice is a voice to be myself through the media. I had learned so much from my fellow student as much as I learned from this class. I had seen that so many student had developed their own voice and their idea through telling their own story. I really fell in love with this class.

One of the most amazing thing that I had learned from taking this class is learning how to analyzes the author reasons and idea to put certain picture, of filming from a certain angle. I feel great that I had gain such a deep understanding skills that will make me think differently about every movie that I will see in the future. I will always remember this class and it had made such a great impact on my life.

-pa

Ger's Final Course Reflection

My final thoughts on this class. Where should I start? I have to say that I've met so many new and nice people during my time. I can't believe I was given the chance to come and meet everyone in this class. From Rachel my professor to my friends, They have all accepted me with caring hands and warm hearts. I've learned to be patient with myself and give myself time to finish anything i put my mind to.

I will carry on the skills and the experience with me through my academic years and so on. Learning about cameras and final cut has given me the ability to express my story and feeling through another way. I have to thank everyone that helped me through this summer of work. Thank you Rachel, Eddie, Walt, Jessica, Pa, and Tshaj. Also i have to thank my friends for everything they've done. I thought this class was the funniest and i truly don't regret taking this class. Thank you! I'll truly miss everyone!

Jessica's Final Course Reflection

From this journey I will take patience, time management, and the idea of media praxis with me. I also learned that a story is a gift.  

I have learned patience because it takes time to complete a wonderful piece of art. Although it may be frustrating at times, the outcome is always good.

I have learned time management because I realize now that it helps a lot to have a schedule or an outline for your project.  If you do not have the proper time management, you might fall behind, turn in incomplete work, or even lose sleep (not that you don't already lose some just for being in college).

Another thing I have learned is the idea of media praxis.  I learned that to tell a story, we need to have a theory, a practice, and a critical reflection.  The theory part is considered as the idea of your piece of work.  The practice part is considered as actually creating your project.  The critical reflection part is considered as explaining what you learned about you, your project, the process in creating your piece, and what it took for you to tell your story.

On the first day of class, my professor, Rachel Raimist informed me that a story was a gift.   At first, I was unaware of the meaning.  Now that I have completed the Digital Storytelling class, I understand what it means to say that a story is a gift.  It is something that we tell people who we and others are.  We tell stories to show personality and emotion.

I really enjoyed this class because it gave me a bigger voice.  I not was able to just express my feelings openly, but to show them too.  I would say that I am a pretty quiet person, but this class helped me open myself up to new things, new people, and new surroundings.

Thank you so much Rachel Raimist, Eddie Glenn, Syressa Lewis, and Walt Jacobs.  You all have made my journey here in the Bridge to Academic Excellence Program an honor.  I have gained so much more knowledge, not only about myself, but also about the University.  I will miss you guys and hope to see you guys around.  Take care.

-Jessica Chang