Recently in April/May 2009 Category

The 5th Annual Power of the People Conference

Race, Citizenship, & the End(s) of Black Politics

3 on 3 Basketball Tourney

Faculty Spotlight Enid L. Logan

Specialties

Enid Logan
  • sociology of law
  • historical sociology
  • race and ethnicity
  • family, marriage, and gender
  • nationalism
  • social theory
  • Latin America & the Caribbean
  • sociology of the media
  • cultural sociology
  • political sociology race & gender in 2008 presidential campaign

Educational Background

• B.A.: Sociology & African American Studies, Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1994.
  • Grad Certificate: Latin American & Caribbean Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2001.
  • M.A.: Sociology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1997.
  • Ph.D.: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2005.

Outreach Activities

• Invited Speaker. St Cloud State University.: Lecture Series on Race and Gender
  • Invited Contributor. Social Science Research Council.: "From King to Obama: Race in America."
  • Keynote Speaker: African-American Academic Achievement Awards. Central High School, St. Paul MN

Publications

• The Wrong Race, Committing Crime, Doing Drugs, and Maladjusted for Motherhood: The Nation's Fury over 'Crack Babies': Logan, Enid Lynette, Social Justice : A Journal of Crime, Conflict & World Order, 1999.
  • Conspirators, Pawns, Patriots and Brothers: Race and Politics in Western Cuba, 1906-1909: Logan, Enid Lynette, Political Power and Social Theory, 14 3-51, 2000.
  • El apĆ³stol y el comandante en jefe: Racial Discourses and Practices in Cuba 1890- 1999: Logan, Enid Lynette, Feagin, J. and Batur-VanderLippe, P, The Global Color Line: Racial and Ethnic Inequality and Struggle from a Global Perspective, 195-213, 1999.
  • The 1899 Cuban Marriage Law Controversy: Church, State and Empire in the Crucible of Nation: Logan, Enid Lynette, Journal of Social History, 42 469-494, 2008

Professional Activities

• Member, American Sociological Association
  • Member, American Historical Association
  • Member, Latin American Studies Association
  • Member, Association of Black Sociologists
  • Member: Sociologists for Women in Society

Courses Taught

• American Race Relations
  • Social Problems
  • Race, Class & Gender

Awards

• Latin American Studies Library Travel Grant, Center for Latin American Studies, University of Florida 2002
  • Student Academic Multicultural Initiatives Grant, Office of the Vice President, University of Michigan 1999, 2002
  • Sims Award. ($5000) School of Social Work, University of Michigan, 1996
  • Phi Beta Kappa, 1993
  • Joseph H. Fitchter Award for Research on Women, Gender & Religion 2002
  • Magna Cum Laude, Yale University, 1994
  • D'Arms Travel Award for Humanities Research, University of Michigan 2000
  • International Predissertation Fellowship, Social Science Resea - 1998-1999
  • Constant H. Jacquet Award for Research on Religion 2002
  • President's Faculty Multicultural Research Award, University of Minnesota, 2008 - 2009
  • McKnight Research Fellowship. University of Minnesota 2006

Course Spotlight

AFRO 3592W

Intro to black women Writers in the U.S.

Njeri GithireThis upcoming fall semester Professor Njeri Githire will offer Introduction to Black Women writers in the United States. In this course students will read personal essays and memoirs written by Black women writers living in the U.S.A. In these nonfiction works, writers such as bell hooks, Audre Lorde, and Lisa Jones will address art, education, family, hair, motherhood, politics, sexism, sexuality, skin color and intra-racial prejudice, socio-economic class and classism, spirituality and religion, racial/cultural identity and racism. For more information regarding this offering contact Professor Njeri Githire at jgithire@umn.edu or (612)-625-1687.

NOMMO African American Authors Series

On Thursday, April 23, the NOMMO African American Authors series concluded its 2008-2009 season. Professor Alexs Pate hosted fiction writer and cultural commentator
Ntozake Shange at Cowles Auditorium. Ntozake Shange is author of the play for colored girlswho have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf: a choreopoem , which won an Obie and was nominated for Tony, Grammy, and Emmy awards. Shange has also published four novels, including Pen-Faulkner nominee Indigo. Her poetry collections include: A Daughter's Geography, Nappy Edges, Ridin' the Moon in Texas, and The Space Love Demands.

April 14th, 2009

CLA: Outstanding Service Award Charlene Hayes

Char HayesCongratulations to Charlene Hayes, the 2007-2008 winner of the College of Liberal Arts Outstanding Service Award. The Outstanding Service Awards are presented annually by the College of Liberal Arts to recognize and reward outstanding service to the college by civil service, bargaining unit and academic professional and administrative employees and work groups. Char was only one of four Civil Service CLA staff to receive the covenant award.

Char was a shoe in for the award considering her consistent high level of performance in her position as Department Administrator. In this role Char has managed to increase efficiency that lead to cost savings, improve quality of service to the department, and continue to raise the bar of excellence in the department. The award includes $1200
and a certificate of recognition.

Ken Burns Remembers John Hope Franklin

The following is an excerpt from the New York Times, Opinion by Ken Burns

John Hope FranklinAfter Pearl Harbor, Dr. Franklin tried to enlist at a Navy recruiting office. "I volunteered," he recalled, "in response to the call that they made specifically for men to man the offices." All regular officers had reported for active duty. "The recruiter for the Navy said, 'What can you do?' I said: 'Well, I can run an office. I can type. I can take shorthand if that's needed. And oh yes, I have a Ph.D. in history from Harvard.'"I wondered what he was going to say. He said, 'You have everything but color.' And I said, 'Well, I thought there was an emergency, but obviously there's not, so I bid you good day.' And I vowed that day that they would not get me, because they did not deserve me. If I was able — physically, mentally, every other kind of way, able and willing to serve my country — and my country turned me down on the basis of color, then my country did not deserve me. And I vowed then that they would not get me."Dr. Franklin would keep that pledge, and for far too long, our country did not deserve him — his scholarship and wisdom and kindness to everyone set a standard far beyond the narrow bigotry that segregated not only our military barracks but also our Bibles, bowling alleys and blood supplies as well. But John Hope Franklin, ever true to his middle name, did not give up, eventually living long enough to see an African-American become president, a moment he told us, of signal importance in the long and complicated history of the country he loved and lived.

First Impressions: Shaping the Path

First ImpressionsFirst Impressions is an initiative started by the department to increase the enrollment of African American and African students at the University of Minnesota. Currently African American & African students represent 4.5 percent of the undergraduate student body on the University of Minnesota's Twin Cities campus.

This initiative investigates why many qualified black students are choosing to attend college else where. With help from the Office for Equity and Diversity, the Black Student Union, and department faculty, African American & African Studies organizes campus visits for high school students, parents, K-12 staff, and community members. All groups receive a guided tour, meet Board members of the Black Student Union, and sit in on a lecture by department faculty. The visit to campus allow groups the opportunity to see the University from an afro perspective. At the end of the day groups participate in a focus group centered around their impressions of the University. The department will present the initiatives findings to key University administrators interested in increasing the enrollment of African American & African students.

A Message from Scott

Welcome to the April/May edition of The Village Newsletter. During the course of the year, we celebrated the 40th anniversary of the Morrill Hall Takeover which led to the founding of the Department of African American & African Studies. As we embark on the next 40 years, the Department stands ready as it has always been to prepare women and men
to excel in academics, their community, and prepared to meet the challenges of our times. With Alumni and friends like you, the Department has a long list of educated, honorable, and steadfast leaders, a list that will continue to grow far into the future.

As the Department approaches the close of another wonderful academic year, we want to remind you "To whom much is given, much is required." We encourage all of you to allow this mantra to guide your thoughts, words, and deeds. The Department is hoping that you will take the time to make a difference in the lives of others. To learn more about making
a difference contact Scott Redd at redd0002@umn.edu and remember the more you assist and encourage others, the more you will come to appreciate what you have and the resources that are available to you.

Be well.
Scott Redd