Dear Alumni & Friends,
Welcome to the November/December issue of The Village. As the outreach arm of the Department of African American & African Studies, I've had the good fortune of experiencing firsthand the unparalleled talent of our alumni. AA&AS graduates are as diverse as they are impressive--so wherever you live, whatever your field, there is real value in maintaining strong ties to the department. One of the department's goals is to spread the word about the many opportunities for alumni involvement:
- On Campus: AA&AS graduates are encouraged to share their perspectives and expertise as speakers at alumni and student events.
- Locally: With ties on both sides of the river you can share with high school students how you are putting your degree to use or participate in Town Hall Forums in North Minneapolis at the UROC.
- Professionally: Alumni are encouraged to look to AA&AS talent first to meet your hiring needs, and to "Take the Call" from alumni or students looking for advice or networking opportunities.
- The Village: Keeping up with the online newsletter ensures that you'll be among the first to know about the latest happenings and many exciting initiatives of the department.
- Facebook: The Department is now a part of the Facebook community. Facebook provides a networking space for AA&AS alumni. To take full advantage of the network, please make sure that your profile is up-to-date.
Finally, as a proud AA&AS alumnus/a, you are the very strongest ambassador of the department. Your leadership, involvement and support send a strong message to the world at large about the value of the degree—and the values of the University of Minnesota's AA&AS learning community. I look forward to getting to know all of you, and working together for the benefit of African American & African Studies, in the months ahead. Again thank you for your support, generosity and confidence.