A Message from Scott

Thumbnail image for Picture1.gifDear Alumni & Friends,

Welcome to the first 2010 edition of The Village. It's hard to believe that 2009 has come and gone and Dr. King's Holiday is right around the corner. The retrospective view of our year is a heartening one, because it makes clear how much the Department has accomplished in 2009. It would take far more space than we have here to recount the many achievements of our students, graduates, faculty, and staff. Suffice it to say, we have a remarkable community of individuals who contribute to the forward momentum of African American & African Studies.

Many of you have contributed to the Department's successes through your hard work. And some of you have contributed financial resources that will help shape us as one of the most proactive African American & African Studies department in the world. I would be remiss, though, if I did not note the significant financial challenges that face us. I am delighted to be able to present you with news of the Department, but hope that you will recognize that we need your help to sustain our forward momentum.
Best wishes and let's make 2010 our year!