Arnold Anderson earned his M.D. in 1943 and his MA in 1950 from the University of Minnesota. In 1950, Dr. Anderson became part Medical School's faculty in pediatrics. He was integral in the development and establishment of the Minneapolis Children's Medical Center and was named the medical director and CEO in 1967, before the hospital was built. He also served as director of patient care at Minneapolis Children's Medical Center from 1977 to 1987.
Arnold Anderson begins by discussing his background, including his education and why he became a physician. He discusses his experiences as a medical student at the University of Minnesota, as an intern at San Diego County Hospital, in the army as a pediatrician, and as a pediatric fellow at the Mayo Clinic. He describes setting up his group practice and establishing the Park Nicollet Clinic and the development and building of the Minneapolis Children's hospital. He discusses pediatric medicine, the University of Minnesota Medical School, the UMN Medical School's relationship with private practitioners, Internal Medicine at the UMN, the Department of Pediatrics at the UMN, the relationship between the Mayo Clinic and the UMN Medical School, the relationship between the UMN Medical School and Twin Cities hospitals, and relations between departments at the UMN Medical School. He discusses the Teenage Medical Center, Human Ecology, physician fees, academic medicine, and principles of management and leadership. He talks about Robert Howard, Irvine McQuarrie, John Anderson, Robert Good, and Richard Magraw.
Arnold Anderson grew up in Minneapolis, MN. He attended St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN, for his undergraduate degree. He received his MD in 1943 and his MA in 1950 from the University of Minnesota. He completed his internship at San Diego County Hospital in California. He then went into the Army, serving as a pediatrician stationed in both the US and Europe during World War II. After getting out of the Army, he did a pediatric fellowship at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. Following his residency, he went into private practice with a group of doctors and established the St. Louis Park Medical Center (now the Park Nicollet Medical Center) in 1950. In 1956, he became chief executive officer of the St. Louis Park Medical Center. He stepped down from administrative duties in 1965. He also served as chief of staff there between 1958 and 1960 and president of the board of trustees between 1960 and 1966. Anderson also was integral in the development and establishment of the Minneapolis Children's Medical Center and was named the medical director and CEO in 1967, before the hospital was built. He also served as director of patient care at Minneapolis Children's Medical Center from 1977 to 1987. He was also on the clinical pediatrics faulty at the UMN beginning in 1950.