myU OneStop


Academic Health Center Oral History Project

School of Public Health Timeline

1886 Charles Hewitt, professor at the University of Minnesota, recommended establishing a school of public health
1944 Formal beginning of the School of Public Health [SPH]. Gaylord Anderson is appointed head of the School, but is on leave to serve in the U.S. Army Medical Corps. Ruth Boynton serves as interim head until the end of the war
1946 SPH accredited by the American Public Health Association. The Laboratory of Physiological Hygiene joins the SPH. Programs in Hospital Administration and Veterinary Public Health are added to SPH
1947 SPH receives a U.S. Public Health Service training grant for nurses in mental hygiene. Minnesota Cardiovascular Survey is initiated by Ancel Keys
1948 SPH becomes the first program in the United States to grant a master's degree in hospital administration (M.H.A.)
1950s SPH is recognized for its research in global epidemiology, sanitary biology, cardiovascular health, epidemiology, public health engineering, biostatistics, environmental sanitation, and public health nursing
1950 Epidemiology is formally recognized as a division within the School. Ground breaking for the Mayo Memorial Building
1954 SPH moves into the new Mayo Memorial Building; Maternal and Child Health is established as a full-time unit of the School
1957 Henry Taylor begins the U.S. Railway Study
1958 SPH launches the nation's first Ph.D. program in epidemiology; Ancel Keys and colleagues begin the Seven Countries Study
1960s (early) The Biocomputing Center is established
1960 SPH launches a Ph.D. program in hospital administration
1961 Training program for public health nurse educators begins
1963 National Diet-Heart Study begins
1964 Enrollment reaches 235 (from 98 in 1954); Public Health Nursing drops its undergraduate program to focus on graduate education; SPH establishes the nation's first hospital engineering program
1965 Public Health Nutrition program begins
1968 Dental Public Health program established
1970 The College of Medical Sciences is disbanded and SPH becomes part of the Health Sciences. Following Gaylord Anderson's retirement, Lee D. Stauffer is appointed first dean of SPH
1972 Public Health Nursing establishes the Adult Nurse Practitioner program
1975 Interdisciplinary Studies Program begins
1977 Midwest Center for Occupational Health and Safety established
1980 Minnesota Heart Health Program begins
1981 Center for the Study of Human and Animal Relationships (CENSHARE) established; SPH Alumni Society is established
1982 Following Lee Stauffer's retirement as dean, Edith D. Leyasmeyer is appointed acting dean
1983 The Laboratory of Physiological Hygiene and the Division of Epidemiology and Community Health merge under the leadership of director Henry Blackburn
1985 Robert L. Kane is named dean
1986 The School is reorganized to provide more time for faculty scholarship and to encourage interdisciplinary collaboration
1990 The Division of Biostatistics begins its work as a statistical center for the Community Programs for Clinical Research on AIDS (CPCRA)
1991 Stephen C. Joseph appointed dean
1992 SPH Career Center opens
1994 The Center for Environment and Health Policy is established; Dean Joseph resigns; Edith D. Leyasmeyer becomes interim dean