The Star Tribune reported that two more Minnesota flu deaths were reported Wednesday, where one occurred in December and the other, which was influenza b and not H1N1, was in March, the Minnesota Department of Health said.
That brings the total number of flu deaths in Minnesota to 70 since the H1N1 pandemic began last April. Of those, 61 were H1N1, four could not be typed, three had no testing done, and one, the most recent, was influenza b, they reported.
No schools or long-term care sites reported outbreaks last week, normally, seasonal influenza strains would be widespread at this time of year, but the wave of H1N1 apparently has dampened the traditional flu season, the Pioneer Press reported.
The Star Tribune reported that the lag time between the deaths and confirmation that they were flu related is due to the complex investigation and testing that is required by some cases, health officials said