Recently in Workout Ideas and Routines Category

Walk. Polk County - Challenge Yourself, Challenge a Friend

PCPH_smalllogo.gifWalk. Bike. Run. Mow. Trim. Rake. Jog. Exercise.
Swim. Karate. Build. Jump. Swing. Clean. Hop. Skip.

Walk. Polk County
June 1 - July 15, 2010

Everyone has been hearing about how important it is to get out and move, exercise, and get fit. It helps our body and mind...and our children for their future. We would like to CHALLENGE you to WALK. Polk County this summer.

By moving your body each day, you can improve your overall health and reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and other illnesses.

Regular exercise:
  • increases energy & endurance
  • slows the aging process
  • reduces stress, anxiety and depression
  • builds and maintains healthy muscles, bones and joints
  • improves your sleep
  • improves mental activity
If these reasons aren't enough...how do CASH PRIZES sound?

$20 cash prizes will be awarded to several participants from community sponsorships.

One prize will be give out on June 22 - this will be drawn from the registrations postmarked by June 15.

The remaining prizes will be drawn on July 27 from those that return a map / tracking sheet postmarked by July 20.

To learn more or to register and download the map - please visit their website - www.pcphealth.org and click on "Walk Polk County".

Questions Contact:
Tammy Conn
218-281-3385

Have an iPod? Try Nike+ and/or iControl Watch

When I go running (or you can use these if you are a walker), I love to attach my iPod Touch and listen to my workout playlists (it definitely keeps me motivated and free from boredom).  I also love to use my Nike+ in conjunction with my Timex Ironman iControl watch.  Let me tell you a little about each!

Nike +
run_ready20090916.png
Ready
Grab your iPod nano, iPod touch, or iPhone 3GS, a pair of Nike+ shoes, and the Nike + iPod Sport Kit or Sensor. Put the sensor in your Nike+ shoe -- there's a built-in pocket specifically designed for it under the insole (or you can cut out a section of your current/favorite shoes or you can buy a pouch). Then connect the receiver to your iPod nano. iPod touch and iPhone 3GS include built-in support for Nike + iPod, so no receiver is necessary. The sensor tracks your run, then sends the data to your iPod.

Set

Check out the Nike + iPod menu and choose how you want to run. You can use custom workout shortcuts to start your favorite workouts quickly. Try the open-ended workout or select one with time, distance, or calorie goals. Then pick your favorite playlist, shuffle songs, or choose Nike-created Sport Music. You can even program a Power Song to play when you need instant motivation.

Go
As you run, your iPod or iPhone 3GS tells you your time, distance, pace, and calories burned. And it gives you feedback at the halfway point and in the final lead-up to your goal. You can also see the details of your workout on your iPod or iPhone 3GS.

Where can I purchase Nike +?
You can typically purchase a Nike + sensor at any athletic or electronics store, such as Best Buy, that sells iPods and iPod accessories for about $25-$29. You can also purchase Nike + shoes at any athletics store...just look for the description to say "Nike + compatible" - the shoes aren't typically any more expensive than others.  Again, if you do not like the Nike brand shoe - you can always purchase a pouch (search online for "nike + pouch") for your Nike + sensor.

Learn more about Nike + through Apple >>>
Learn more about Nike + through Nike >>>

* Photo taken from apple.com

Timex Ironman iControl Watch

W66-0008-call01-ro.jpgI love my Timex Ironman iControl Watch.  Not only is it a sport watch and comes in many fun colors, but it also wirelessly controls my iPod Touch (volume control, advance songs, play/pause) while I'm running.  What's nice about having this watch is that you do not have to stop and try and control your iPod, you can do it on the fly by pressing a button on the watch - it just keeps me going!

This watch is compatible with iPod 5th generation (video); iPod Nano 2nd generation (aluminum) 2GB, 4GB, and 8GB; iPod 5th generation (video) 60GB and 80GB; iPod Nano 1st generation 1GB, 2GB, 4GB; and the iphone and iPod touch.

Prices range from $25 - $89 - so shop around for the best price! :)

* Photo taken from tigerdirect.com

Want to train for a 5K or 10K?

With the Fargo Marathon rolling around in about 5 weeks (May 22nd), some of you may have already signed up for the 5K, 10K or even the all out marathon (if you haven't, and are still interested, be a part of 20,000! - www.fargomarathon.com), you'll want to start training now!  Don't forget about the annual Ox Cart Days Run the 3rd weekend in August too - 2 mile fun run/walk or the 10K (http://visitcrookston.com/home.php?pg=oxcartdays)!

Here are some great references to begin your training!

5K Training
Beginner 5 K Training Plan

10K Training
Novice
Intermediate
Advanced
Walk

If you don't feel that any of these programs will work for you, try googling or binging (whatever search engine your prefer) "train for a 5K" or "train for a 10K"....there are endless results!

Blank Monthly Workout and Weekly Meal Planners

I guess I can say I'm somewhat organized when it comes to meal and workout planning. :)  For the past year I've really relied on using my planners. Since most of us work full time plus, it's hard to make sure we eat right and exercise, and for me, when I write it all out, I seem to stick to it better!  I also feel it's such a relief when I get home at night that I already know what I'm (or my husband is) going to cook and all the ingredients are there. 

I'm going to share with you what I use to plan my weekly meals and monthly workouts (feel free to modify them for your needs) - they are in both Microsoft Word and PDF format and are blank so you can fill it in with your favorites.  Enjoy and happy planning!

Weekly Meal Schedule

Weekly Meal Schedule.doc
Weekly Meal Schedule.pdf

*Note: I plan out my meals every Sunday and base what's on sale at the grocery store and what already in my house, I then go shopping on Sunday/Monday to get everything I need for the week.  I then write down how many points supper will be then I know how many points I can spend throughout the day on other meals and snacks.  For those of you with picky kids (or other family members), I also make healthy modifications of what I/we eat (since I'm not a short order cook), in case there are too many spices or things "mixed together."

Monthly Work Out Schedule

workoutschedule.docx
workoutschedule.pdf

Beachbody.com - Some of my favorite workout DVDs!

beachbody.jpgI have found some of the best at home workout DVD's at www.beachbody.com!  One thing I really like about them, is they are easy to follow, motivating and they have a running time at the bottom of your TV screen (no more wondering "how much longer is this workout going to last?"). I incorporate these DVD's on a regular basis into my daily workout routine.

My Personal Favorites Are:

10-Minute Trainer
Only got 10 minutes?  You will get the best 10 minute workout ever - there 10 minutes of cardio, abs, lower body, total body and yoga!  I sometimes use these DVD's in conjunction with the rest of my workout routine or I put 2 or 3 of the workouts together to get at 20 or 30 minute routine!  Totally worth the money and versatile!

TurboJam
Want a fun cardio workout - a little bit of dance and a little bit of kick boxing, maybe some weights here and there?  These are great! Typical workouts range from 20 - 50 minutes.

ChaLEAN Extreme
Have some free weights or resistance bands laying around at home?  Give this workout routine a try!  I love lifting weights with this series...she's so easy to follow and motivating!  There is no cardio with this one - just weights and some ab workouts. Guys would like this workout too!  Typical workouts last about 35 minutes.

P90X
This series is challenging - but wonderful!  It's for men and women and has a little of everything - weights, cardio, yoga, kenpo, plyometrics, abs...you name it!  Typical workouts last about 45 - 60 minutes.

There are a ton of others by Beach Body...so if you have tried or end up buying any of the others, leave a comment here and let us all know what you like (and possibly what you don't like).

Looking for a new workout or workout routine?

fitness_logo.gif
When I feel like I'm getting in a workout slump...I go in search of new routines or ideas!  Try out fitnessmagazine.com's site for ideas - like biking, running, walking, weights, swimming...you name it (plus they have healthy recipes!)!  I even subscribe to their email newsletters, which are very good :)

www.fitnessmagazine.com

or for you guys out there that think fitness magazine is just for chicks, check out...

www.menshealth.com

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Workout Ideas and Routines category.

Restaurant Point Values is the previous category.