Assignment 1

I am a HUGE fan of "Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies", so I've decided that I will work on the presentation of this cookies as well as add few new ingredients that wouldn't change the taste of the cookie dramatically.

Coming from the Middle East, I wanted to experiment with adding ingredients that are very common in making Middle Eastern sweets.

I have started baking with a very basic cookie recipe:

(dry ingredients)

2 cups of flour

1/2 TSP baking powder

1/2 TSP salt

Sift the ingredients together in a bowl.

1 cup dark brown sugar

1 and 1/2 butter stick

1/2 cup sugar

1 TBS vanilla

Mix together until the mixture is fluffy and smooth.

Add:

1 egg

1 egg yolk
photo 1(2).JPG

I started adding the dry ingredients slowly to the mixture.

and then divided the batch into 3 smaller batches for three different experiments:

Batch 1:

I've added:

dark chocolate chips

lemon zest

photo 3(3).JPG

1 TBS of saffron and cardamom soaked in water

(this mixture is usually used to give flavor and color to rice or Arabic sweets)

photo 4(5).JPG

and I've added more flour because the mixture was runny.

and baked for 15 minutes in 325 degree pre-heated oven.

photo 3(2).JPG

The result was unsuccessful! The cookie didn't spread out as it should. and I think it had a lot of flour which made it hard to taste the lemon zest and saffron/cardamom mix!

Batch 2:

I've added:

milk chocolate chips

Sesame seed candy

photo 5(5).JPG

photo 1(3).JPG

I was happy with the result of this batch. It tasted very much like a classic choco chip cookie, but had a stronger flavor to it. The sesame seed candy flavor was not very strong, so I've decided to experiment with the third batch with the goal of making the flavor stronger.

Batch 3:

I've baked the plain cookie dough for 15 minutes in 325 degree pre-heated oven.

Let it cool for 15 minutes.

IMG_1473.jpg

and I had a bowl of melted dark chocolate chips mixed with sesame seed candy, and chili powder.

photo 5(3).JPG

I then dipped the cookies in the dark chocolate sesame seed mixture and sprinkled with sesame candy and let cool for 10 more minutes.

IMG_1475.jpg

I had friends to volunteer and test all three batched while I was baking them, and that helped me improve while I was baking!

We have all agreed that the last batch was the most successful cookie that originate from an original chocolate chip cookie, but shifted to a new flavor and appearance!

Hi Sarah:
Interesting experiments! Combining the mideast ingredients with your favotite chocolate chip cookies is a really creative idea! I was thinking about mixing Asian sweet materials with my cookies first; however it's not easy to buy the real authentic Asian materials in American grocery stores. I like your pictures and different experiment posts, I just want to know more about your decision making process. For example, you explained the reason why first batch was unsuccessful(too much flour, and you cannot taste saffron and cardamom very well)but you didn't mention too much about why you give up saffron and cardamom for your second experiment. If you could tell us more about what did you think and combined your thoughts with the process, it would be a more interesting post to read! Thanks for sharing the process with us.
Annika (Qun) Yan

It's interesting to see how you mix some of the middle-eastern taste into your cookies. I'm sorry that you didn't end up with the middle-eastern style(taste) for the final cookies, I would love to try something unique, something from different country. But, it's also nice to see all your attempts of baking the cookies. Your final result is different from the chocolate cookie which we normally eat. It has sesame seed candies, and it is topped with chocolate sauce instead of having it mixed with cookie itself. However, I feel your ideas could expand far beyond, and have something more different.

Cindy