Assignment 4

Reaching out 4 people was challenging at first! to get four people in one place for an hour ! but I managed to start the brainstorming session Saturday night!

Eman, Graphic Designer
Reem, Interior Designer
Abdulrahman, Interior Designer
Danah, Nutritionist
I acted as both a facilitator and idea generator with the team.

Unfortunately, one of my participants canceled an hour before the exercise! but she emailed me the list of ideas she prepared for this session. [PDF]

I introduced both problem statements at first, and I wanted my participants to brainstorm both ideas together. Since both problem statement are related, I wanted my participants to think about both simultaneously to be inspired by each others.

P.S #1: How might we design mitten/gloves that would keep hand warm...
P.S #2: How might we keep our hands warm in winter...

I divided the brainstorming session to the following:

- warm-up game: stare at each others and a person blink at another person, if you get a blink, you should pass it to someone else! and while passing blinks the number increases (start with one blink, then two blinks, then three..etc).
The idea is to warm-up and make sure that everyone is paying attention to where the blink is and how many blinks we reached!

- 20 minute of general brainstorming.
- 10 minutes of negative brainstorming (worst ideas).
- 10 minutes of rolestorming.
- 5 minutes categorizing.
- 5 minutes evaluating.

It was really interesting to see how the participants developed ideas!
At first, I was a little worried about "how serious" they will be taking this assignment. I mean in class we have been practicing "freeing" our minds for a while, so brainstorming with my classmates was very easy and each one seemed to know the level of "seriousness" we were excepted to have!
I started with talking about my problem statement and my approach to this project, then I described to them briefly the brainstorming technique we will be using. I emphasized on thinking out of the box and thinking silly.

brainstorming.JPG

I noticed that each idea inspire the other, it started with some "more practical" ideas. Then as I joined and added very silly ideas, they felt more comfortable with thinking out of the box.

brainstorming2.JPG

[VIDEO]

By the end, it was really fun to see all the ideas on the wall!

brainstorming4.JPG

brainstorming5.JPG

After categorization each one of us had 3 starts from each color to evaluate the ideas on the wall.

photo-7.JPG

And after categorizing and evaluating, we decided that the second problem statement gave more space for creativity so we picked 4 ideas for P.S #1 and 6 ideas for P.S #2..
It was really hard to only select 6 since there where so many good potential ideas!

Here are the list of ideas for P.S #1 (how might we design mitten/gloves that would keep hand warm)

Scan1.jpg

scan2.jpg

scan7.jpg

scan6.jpg

Ideas from P.S #2 (how might we keep our hands warm in winter)

scan32.jpg

scan4.jpg

scan5.jpg

scan8.jpg

scan9.jpg

scan10.jpg

scan11.jpg

IPM for the whole session = 0.6 PP
40 minute = 100 idea

Hey Sarah. You did a great job gathering people with various design backgrounds. Its a bummer to hear that one of your participants did not make it.
Here are some things I really liked about your post:
1) time breakdown of your actual brainstorming session
2) your addition of the short video from the session
3) your use of various techniques to keep the brainstorming session flowing
Here are some areas I believe you could improve in
1) I think that you should not have introduced both questions at once. If you kept them sperate and introduced them at different times, I think that would separate some of the ideas and explore more wild ones.
2) I think your first question was 'leading' in the sense that they will only think of mittens/gloves. If you really wanted to use this question to focus in on mittens, maybe introduce it after the other question is completely done and brainstormed.

P.s. I like the idea of the see-through gloves. (In my session we came up with see-through hat!) Also, good job with leading the session. 0.6 ideas per person per minute is good!

Hi Sarah,

I think you did a good job explaining and documenting each step of your process. I also appreciated that you considered people's backgrounds when selecting your participants It was really cool that you included a video too. I think your first problem statement could have been stronger. Using "mittens/gloves" in the statement limited participants from thinking outside of that realm. I also think it would have been more successful if you had worked on one problem statement for 20 minutes, and then spent another 20 minutes just on the second problem statement. Were there any particular design ideas from the session that you feel like you'll explore further?

Hi Sarah,