Assignment 5

Using more structured methods for "brainstorming" and coming up with new ideas I summarize my finding to this post...

SCAMPER

Bellow are ideas generated by the SCAMPER method:

sub.jpg

Substitute: Substitute gloves with another product that would still have the same function (keep hands warm).

com.jpg

Combine: Combine gloves + sweater!

adapt.jpg

Adapt: Design gloves that adapt to the weather conditions.

modify.jpg

Modify/Magnify: Add a solar energy system to generate heat which will increase the frequency of its use.

mag.jpg

Modify/Magnify: Exaggerate producing heat by adding a heater into the glove.

elimae.jpg

Eliminate: This was a little tricky! it is hard to eliminate things from a simple glove! so I decided to eliminate all the fingers.

another.jpg

Put to another use: Create another function for the glove when it is not used to warm hands!

ampther.jpg

Put to another use: same concept as above.

Table-based

I have worked with both TILMAX and HIT matrix to come up with more ideas and here are my two selected ideas:

img004.jpg

ref1.jpg

ref2.jpg

Refined

Here are ideas I selected and slightly refined from the brainstorming session:

fin1.jpg

fin2.jpg

Ideas Gallery:

1.
glove.jpg

2.
photo 30.JPG

3.
photo 20.JPG

4.
photo 40.jpg

5.
scan11.jpg

6.
scan9.jpg

7.
scan2.jpg

8.
11.JPG

9.
photo 222.JPG

10.
scan7.jpg

While selecting the most interesting 10 ideas, I realized that the most productive phase of my process "so far" was the blue sky idea generating methods.
It was more challenging to think with structured methods. I found that most ideas I came up while using this method were very practical and not necessarily creative or new!

This wasn't my favorite assignment :)!

Hi Sarah,

I thought your SCAMPER illustrations were reminiscent of Quentin Blake's illustrations that are often found in books written by Roald Dahl's--indeed a very unique style that I'm fond of. :) I like how you haven't overloaded your blog with too much text. I appreciate that you used both the TILMAG and HIT matrices. I like how several of the ideas that you've explored some innovative routes to solving your problems (such as hand warming gel, getting closer to bulbs, wearing warming jewelry etc.), rather than just getting tied down to gloves.

I thought some of the descriptions that went with the pictures could have been provided before the picture instead of after. Maybe numbering the ideas and providing bold titles would be a good way to organize the blog too. Also, I do agree that the experience of doing structured ideation is very different from blue-sky ideation. In my case, I used some ideas from both weeks. I guess there is a distinct advantage to both the approaches!

~Harini~