« "What's The Hurry?" | Main | SLOW Small steps.... »

Half an hour on the bridge

I guess I've been highly influenced by society and it's high-speed take on basically every aspect of life. I was very upset when I found out I wouldn't be able to bike across the bridge anymore, so taking a half an hour to cross the bridge was daunting to me. I timed us as we walked to the East Bank, it took about 4 and a half minutes. Then began the long trek back. And even knowing that I should go slowly to make the bridge last the entire time, it was hard for me. That bridge always looks super long, no matter what. As soon as five minutes in, though, I'd settled into more of a rhythm, one that I was able to keep up the entire way. And while the focus was supposed to be more inward, I couldn't help noticing the looks that some of the people passing by were giving us. And listening to some of their comments. It was hard to keep a straight face at times and pretend I wasn't listening in on their conversations. After finally reaching the end of the bridge, it was really weird to walk quickly again. It took a while before it felt normal, but then it was right back to fast-paced life. If only we could slow life down like that more often, and for things more significant than just a walk across the bridge. I can definitely see the beauty of it.