« Modernism's salient "Revolutionary Spirit" | Main | Due Sep. 25, 2008: "After the Orgy" by J. Baudrillard »

response

To respond to Jonathon's criticism: nearly every critic Williams mentions seems to find nothing good about consumer culture, and while there may very well be nothing good about consumer culture, I was trying to find some positive aspects to it -- to play devil's advocate, which I enjoy doing in discussions. It wasn't really my intention either to "gloss over" or to not "gloss over" the realities of economic inequality, since that's really not what I was choosing to talk about at the time. I actually found it a bit insulting to be accused of not being aware of economic inequality, since it enters my mind every day. But poverty in America (and elsewhere, where it is much worse) is an entirely different and lengthy discussion. Of course, it is more fortunate to have been born rich (which I was not, personally), but it is still also a fortunate thing to have been born American (is it not?), and should we not be grateful, and show gratefulness, for that good fortune? I tend to think that gratefulness for whatever good fortune is thrown in our laps, randomly as it were, has a way of putting things into perspective. (By the way, thank you, Bart, for understanding what I saying about being grateful).

Honestly I could give a shit about being born in the USA!
I find it curious that we look to eastern cultures for information about a deeper spirituality, we look to smaller nations like Denmark for their abilities to take care of each other through a socialized economic structure, we looked to Japan for a business model, we talk a lot about what we can learn from tribal communities, it takes a village to raise a child. I was raised in a wealthy family with direct descendants on the Declaration of Independence. I am all too aware of the slaughter of the indigenous people on this beautiful land which began our occupation. I find one of the things American's do the best is assume that to be American is something to be more grateful for then to be any other nationality. I am grateful for being alive and all that comes with it. Personally learning to be grateful for everyone else here and all that entails w/o having to be more than them, to truly understand the equality of every situation, the hardest.

Wow, su perb website layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is magnificent, let alone the content! Jennine Okie