Resources for Grants

Here are a few non-medium-specific grant opportunity listings:

As you'll see, many of the listings are calls for projects, hence not technically grants.  If you find a posting that is attractive to you, I'm open.

Due Dates

Hello all,
All final papers (i.e. 3rd drafts of narratives and research/grant paper) are due on:

Friday December 10, 2010

I've made the correction on the calendar; sorry for the confusion.

Ali

Artists mentioned in Maneli Aygani's critique

Stop motion masters:
Jan Švankmajer, Brothers Quay
Bruce Bickford: Frank Zappa collaborator for Baby Snakes
Young Iranians:
Tala Madani, Barbad Golshiry

See entry for some examples...

eStudio announcement

in case any of you didn't receive this.....

-------

Beginning October 18th, the eStudio (W206) will be hosting open hours for art department students and faculty to preview the new equipment and studio space.
*Mondays- 5pm-7pm*
*Wednesdays 10am-12pm*
W206

The eStudio is a catalyst for digital dialogues that explore creative processes connecting tangible materials in hand and digital modes of fabrication with programmable machines. The eStudio is designed to create an inclusive and participatory environment that invites a reimagining of the permeable boundaries shaped by digital design and fabrication technologies, emerging materials and sustainable practices, experimental modes of making and tacit knowledge. The physical space provides a clean room required by the machines and a conceptual and cooperative learning place intended to enhance the experience of artists engaged in this creative research.

*Current Equipment:*
-PFAFF 8310 Ultrasonic Welder
[join and seal non-woven, textiles, synthetic fabrics and plastics without adhesives]
-Makerbot Cupcake -3-D printer
[print 3D objects [with internal voids and moveable parts] in ABS plastic up to 4x4x6"]
-Roland Vinyl Cutter (Camm-1 Servo GX-24)
[cut vinyl, fabric, cardboard, vellum, paper, thin metal foil circuits 2" to 27.5" wide]
-Husqvarna Designer SE Computer-Driven Embroidery Machine
[sew, embroider image files, and create soft circuits with conductive thread]
-Soldering and Electronics prototyping area
[integrate electronics and the capacity for interactivity, responsiveness, and wearables]
-Cintiq 21UX
[use interactive pens and brushes to draw directly on the surface of a 21.3" LCD display]

Artists Mentioned by Adriane Herman

I tried to note the artists mentioned by Adriane today in the group crit. Here they are by student. Enjoy.

Josh
Milla Sherberg (spelling? link?)
Kara Walker
Jasper Johns
Jasper Johns, "Grey"

Johns.jpg

Ben
Debora Oden
Youtube video
about her process

Oden.png

Yousif
Yayoi Kusama

Yayoi-Kusama.jpg

David
James Siena

Siena.jpg

Ginny
Cornelia Parker

Parker.jpeg

Elisa
Katherine Bradford

bradford.jpg

Maneli
Gregory Amenoff

Amenoff.jpg

Andy
Richard Artschwager

richard-artschwager-book-sculpture.jpg

Friday's Group Crit

Hello all,
I'm delighted to report that Adriane Herman, guest artist for the MAPC, has agreed to join us on Friday for a group crit in W130. The day will go as follows:

9.30am: Meet at the usual spot, we'll walk over to Coffman together.
10.am: MAPC lecture by Swoon
11?am: walk back to regis with Adrian,
11?am-12.30pm: group crit in W130
12.30pm: quick lunch with Adrian (she has a panel at 1.30pm!)

I've reserved W130 from Thursday 4.30pm onward. Please make time to install your work in that room at some point between then and Friday morning. Keycard for W130 will be in the west building tool crib.

Ali

Frank & Lillian Gilbreth

Here are the films I was talking about on Friday in David's critique. "Work analysis films" to improve efficiency.

Julia Kristeva and the "Abject"

I've been doing some research on feminist theorist Julia Kristeva, and I thought I would share. Her book "Powers of Horror" explores "abjection." When we are faced with an abject object (excrement, corpse, rotting food), there is a sudden (and violent) psychological reaction of confusion between self and other, subject and object. In other words, we view ourselves as both a subject ("I") and an object ("physical material body" dead corpse) at the same time. These boundaries and our sense of identity are, essentially, destroyed. (What I am most interested in, however, is when this reaction to abjection coincides with reaction of the sublime -- Kristeva also states that the sublime is the "thin skin" to abjection -- we are both horrified and in awe at objects of sublime...)

Here are some excerpts from Kristeva:

"The corpse...upsets even more violently the one who confronts it as a fragile and fallacious chance. A wound with blood and pus, or the sickly, acrid smell of sweat, of decay, does not signify death. In the presence of signified death -- a flat encephalograph, for instance -- I would understand, react, or accept. No, as in true theater, without makeup or masks, refuse and corpses show me what I permanently thrust aside in order to live."

"The abject is edged with the sublime. It is not the same moment on the journey, but the same subject and speech bring them into being... the sublime is a something added that expands us, overstrains us, and causes us to be both here, as dejects, and there, as others and sparkling. A divergence, an impossible bounding. Everything missed, joy--fascination"

"Food loathing is perhaps the most elementary and most archaic form of abjection. When the eyes see or the lips touch that skin on the surface of milk -- harmless, thin as a sheet of cigarette paper, pitiful as a nail paring -- I experience a gagging sensation and, still farther down, spasms in the stomach, the belly; and all the organs shrivel up the body, provoke tears and bile, increase heartbeat, cause forehead and hands to perspire...

Forgot to post the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXINemV8E_0

click here

George Kollias

One of the fastest drummers in the world : he plays with the band Nile- (i invited all of you to go see them play live last year).

-Yousif.