A Bikers Perspective and the Bigger Picture - Kevin And Kalen

Post your reflections below for Kevin and Kalen's larger scale and reversed Interactive biker Piece.

Well, this is still a cool piece the second week, however I don't know if that was the best location for it, as not may people walk by there. Maybe over by the theater and food would have been a better choice.

Still a good piece. The curved wall made it interesting, but I agree with Nicola... not the best location for something that requires participants.

This looked really great, esp. from the bike trainer. I guess with the location, you had the hard choice of either putting it where we had some foot traffic or putting it where it looked the best. I think this work, at a busier location, and especially if there was an audio/interactive element (wouldn't it be something if the speed of video could be controlled by the pedaling of the bike?) would be really successful.

This project was a really great solution for a physically engaging, approachable an interactive piece. In a way, I see the work as the hit of the outing. Both Kalen and Kevin were super personal, friendly, and inviting. The human touch - from laughy taffy, to the hands on manipulation of the bike, made this project really really fun, nice, and sweet. I love that it was fun for the person participating, that it was appealing to any age, and also worked for the audience to participate through cheering and jeering.

The use of the start button and the green light as an entry point after entry onto the bike really helped to structure the expereience. Giving away candy a nice conclusion. Though, it is a little disorienting about when the rider wants to stop, or the event is over. I think that I needed to get off the ride early!!

Thank you two - Repeat performance!!!

Oddly, the reincarnation of this project speaks to the complete spontaneity of creative inspiration: to be honest, the bike's presence in the old industrial park was to start with the result of not having enough time to get a new idea together in the time since the last outing.
We talked over changes we might make to the videos, but due to the shortage of computers (how did THAT happen?) we were forced to go with the raw footage, and Kevin decided to reverse it.
Finding a location seemed to be a problem, as the biker would have had to crane their neck to see the video if it was too far above the ground... this sparked some searching for a new spot, until with a whirl of the magic arm we landed on the uneven surface of the grain silos at a diagonal from us.
The skewed, oblong throwing of the projection, as well as its far greater size than before, actually reached closer to my original image of the project - in which the biker would feel the motion of the film in their gut, as happens with some IMAX films, to feel more a part of the ride.
I want to figure out how to use motion-sensing equipment with MAX software... something like this could be really interactive then.
The personal input into the piece ("real-time vibrations") was a lot of fun, however.

I really enjoyed this piece, this was the first time that I actually got to experience riding the bike rather than just observing other people and as a biker I have to say that this was the most fun and viscerally engaging piece we showed this week. You guys really crafted something that feels like it could appeal to even the least "art-minded" person. That being said, I don't know if the piece grew very much from week to week, and obviously the lack of public interaction hurt things a bit.

I liked the change of the elevated platform, it added a nice perspective to the piece. The larger format and the space you were projecting on was fun to experience. The human interaction part of this piece is fun and adds an extra level to it. This piece needs such a public space, lots of people beign around when you are on the bike is fun and exciting. I wonder where this piece goes next? I am curious to see if more can be done or if this is the extent of it.

This was my first experience with the piece and I enjoyed the concept quite a bit. The subtleties of the piece such as a swerve here and there made it quite interesting. Unfortunately, I had no idea that it was a piece that was in progress for the whole outing. I just assumed that your projector was on and you were waiting to start. I guess I could've used a bit more direction.

I liked how you decided to angle the projection. For me, it made the visual experience more dynamic and exciting. I know its tough to pump out new maw stuff each week, especially with busy lives. Im excited to see what you folks create for us tonight!

Recent Comments

• donov094: I liked how you decided to angle the projection. For read more
  • joh07312: This was my first experience with the piece and I read more
  • cayko001: I liked the change of the elevated platform, it added read more
  • mccor234: I really enjoyed this piece, this was the first time read more
  • keirx004: Oddly, the reincarnation of this project speaks to the complete read more
  • drag0061: This project was a really great solution for a physically read more
  • gils0042: This looked really great, esp. from the bike trainer. I read more
  • Bradley: Still a good piece. The curved wall made it interesting, read more
  • carpe237: Well, this is still a cool piece the second week, read more