Kalen/Kevin: Interactive bike ride

Take a seat on the bike, choose a location, and let the experience begin! the scenes were projected on the wall, while Kalen and Kevin made the ride more exciting.

totally awesome. extremely successful. It was exciting to experience this piece as a biker and as an observer. The energy and enthusiasm of Kevin and Kalen made the piece for me. I couldn't imagine it without their cries, laughs, and shouts!!!! so fun.... At first, I wondered if interactivity through sensors or other tech stuff could have worked. However, after a few seconds of reflection, I realized that the piece was 20 times stronger with a man-made interactivity. For next time, I would suggest enhancing sound to either set a mood, provide commentary for something, or immerse the audience further into a place. Perhaps you could have used sounds of a heartbeat or breathing, or bike noises to make it more intense.

Great piece. The way you guys brought people in and added so much to the experience was awesome. Every time I looked over or was near people were smiling and having fun. Bringing all of these people together and watching them have a great time seems like the best kind of success to me and this piece achieved it. That said I am nor sure where it goes form there? Is it just for fun or could something more happen with it? Very enjoyable though.

This was quite a bit of fun, I didn't get to try riding myself but I watched plenty of other people do it and they were all having a blast. Great work by Kevin and Kalen as sort of ringmasters for the whole experience, and I thought the actual video of biking was well shot and immersive. The only quibble that I have is that it feels less "art" and more "carnival", which isn't a bad thing, but for future times out you might want to try to add a bit of intellectual/emotional impact for them to take away from the experience, along with the fun.

It gets people interacting very directly, and involves some level of trust. I like that it's low-tech, because somebody has to shake and turn the bike and somebody has to yell out "no no no go left!"
Successful, to me.
Would be interesting to try it with multiple training bikes set up at once, with multiple screens.

This piece was the brainchild of the desire for an interactive experience that hadn't been tried.
Addressing the intellectual/emotional impact, I always connect my projects to underlying philosophical ideas or questions: for this piece it was less explicit, and I'm ok with that; for me art is always a way to connect people or with people, and any elitist idolatry of the artist would be secondary. I definitely connected with our visitors, especially the family that ended up enjoying all of the projections.
Digging deeply, the ability to choose various spots to travel around in for me comes back to the idea of widening the viewer's consciousness beyond the spot where we stand, as well as solidifying a sense of place (Minneapolis).
That said, I by no means would claim this to be the ideal expression of those themes. There were some uncomfortable moments, mainly having to do with the level of suspension of disbelief necessary to get into the actual physical experience of the bike ride and disconnection from the video at times.

whoops, i posted feedback for the interactive bike ride on your other project. I did not see this porject.

This piece really brought the interactivity to the table. It was a lot of fun to watch the kids AND adults come up and just have a good time both watching and being a part of it. I feel like some really strong memories were made from the piece. When those families go by the greenway, they will definitely remember the crazy guys with there stationary bike and simulation. Even though there is a very arcade game feel to it, the results were very impressive. It brought people in, got them hooked, and having a good time. Total strangers, just chillin. I see art in that.

most affordable video game of 2010 !! I enjoyed the ride even though creators helped me to navigate. We had to bring our imagination, melancholy movements and childhood spirit to ride with. Thanks for the candy afterwards.

Recent Comments

• Meena Mangalvedhekar: most affordable video game of 2010 !! I enjoyed the read more
  • newma262: This piece really brought the interactivity to the table. It read more
  • drag0061: whoops, i posted feedback for the interactive bike ride on read more
  • keirx004: This piece was the brainchild of the desire for an read more
  • Bradley: It gets people interacting very directly, and involves some level read more
  • mccor234: This was quite a bit of fun, I didn't get read more
  • cayko001: Great piece. The way you guys brought people in and read more
  • donov094: totally awesome. extremely successful. It was exciting to experience this read more
  • carpe237: This piece was really attention grabbing, and I LOVED that read more