"Ugly Campus" - Liam

Artists: Please post images/videos from the project.
Others: Please post your critique of the work as a reply to this post.

This one was very interesting to watch/ experience. I had seen all of these places before, and definitely know there were some ugly things on campus, but by putting some of the places into this sort of context it really did kind of become beautiful. Also, the size of the projection was pretty impressive.

The photography was beautiful for this project, and I found the concept of finding the ugliest spots on campus and presenting them in a sterile slide-show format both humorous and provoking but I found myself hoping for a bit more intention from the project. I think, barring the title, the average viewer wouldn't have realized that the photos were a critique of the architecture. Perhaps some more indication of that aim would help!

Good photos, for sure, but it kind of felt like a slideshow.

I would have liked to see the photos activated somehow.
I didn't hear the title and didn't get the connectedness, but I do like the concept.

It would be good to draw attention to the purpose within the work.

I found this piece very interesting. Although it looked like a slideshow, I also felt like it was a image based documentary of, not so much a architectural critique, a presence of a non living identity on campus. I felt like I was watching a piece showing me that these architectural features are secretly alive and everywhere around campus, and we don't even pay attention. The photo's seemed to ask questions about the existence of these objects in the photo's, and maybe other came to different answers, but It seemed to give the objects life. I appreciated it in that sense, but maybe there was a more innovative way of going about the piece rather than just presenting photo's. I would challenge you to present the photos in a different way. Maybe layering and converting to Cutout PNG files from Photoshop. I think it could do alot for the piece! Good Job!

You have an eye for something interesting here - off the ugly, beaten path as it were. Although I walked up late because I was dissembling the equipment uphill from you, I was immediately drawn in by the story that the photos seemed to tell for themselves. I say "story" as a sort of silent narrative that the oppressive angles and phallic protrusions constructed when placed next to each other, as if the world they came from was made up entirely of these spaces.
I would also say that I saw more 'beauty' in this story than ugliness; but that speaks to the fact that in real life these are places spaced apart from one another, and yet in this sequence they become unavoidable.

The scale of this piece was great. Having the images projected so large was really interesting and I think added to the piece. The photos were good, I recognized many of the places and having them next to each other like that makes you noticed the repetitive nature of the area and how similar things tend to be. I don't know if it left me with an ugly feeling about the architecture, but it made me consider the area more and take notice of my surroundings on campus. The format was the weakest part for me, the slide show just doesn't get me excited as a presentation tool. DOing something more with the images would really improve the piece.

I think it would be interesting to take these really great photos and compose interrelated sets. Also, there is some art in the basement of the Wilson Library that showcases a project style building with cubes of grey, white etc. over the center. If you were to manipulate these images in any way, what would you to. What would it be like to jigsaw some together, or invite a square or circle element from one to the other.

I like the scale you projected on. A switch up in the pacing of showing may have added interest. There was something about the interest in the bike racks- the kind of abandoned feeling - the University does sleep. The places that accommodate individuals left empty... the feeling of desolation really came through. The insertion of an image that captures some of the U's propaganda, the research banner - was one of how many? This was added different information, how do you contemplate it in the larger picture of your theme?

I appreciated the photos in this piece. Put next to each other you really can see the similarities of campus and how monotonous that can be. I don't know if i think ugly right away when i see this piece, and without the title of this entry, i don't think i would have mentioned it. I liked the huge scale of it, it really added to the piece and made the slide show format more exciting.

I thought each photo was well done in this piece. The only thing I was lost about was the purpose and connecting factor between all of the photos. Now that I see that it is an ugly campus theme, I appreciate it much more. Agreeing with Bradley, I think some interactivity or more lively elements would've been fantastic.

For me, the strongest aspect of the work was the concept itself.
Here are some question I thought of during and after the experience.

1. Was the location/context suitable for the piece (st.anthony main)
2. Was the format (slideshow of images) the most effective way to communicate your message?
3. (I forget...) was there sound? if so, did it help or hinder the experience?
4. Was it intended as an installation (intended for a cyclical timeline) or as a performance/narrative experience?

my personal answers:
1. i would prefer the university architecture/setting/context (on campus)
2. maybe not
3. it sound: i think hinder.....if not: good idea
4. id like it as an installation

Recent Comments

• donov094: For me, the strongest aspect of the work was the read more
  • joh07312: I thought each photo was well done in this piece. read more
  • cayko001: I appreciated the photos in this piece. Put next to read more
  • drag0061: I think it would be interesting to take these really read more
  • cayko001: The scale of this piece was great. Having the images read more
  • keirx004: You have an eye for something interesting here - off read more
  • walke803: I found this piece very interesting. Although it looked like read more
  • Bradley: Good photos, for sure, but it kind of felt like read more
  • mccor234: The photography was beautiful for this project, and I found read more
  • carpe237: This one was very interesting to watch/ experience. I had read more