MAW Class First Outing Reflection - Kevin C. Walker

Last night was by far the most fun, school related, event that I have ever been affiliated with while I've been at college. Every ones pieces were really impressive and like Ali said I am also very proud of all of us for doing such a great job our first time out, and having a lot of fun while doing it! I am looking forward to going out and doing it again next week! Below are my reflections on everyone's piece. I am hoping to try my best to remember everything that I wanted to say from last night. If I do think of something in the future that I did not post this time, I will revise it so that it is in.

I don't remember the groups exactly so I'll describe the projection instead.

BIKER LOVE
I found this projection very inspiring. The large scale format made the projection feel complex, yet the paper cutouts of the heart and bike were so simple. The mixture between these two characteristics was something that I really appreciated. I also appreciated the layout of hardware to project the piece. I was always a fan of super clean setups that without a lot of clutter, and I feel it is important to the viewers of the piece to not be burdened with having an eye strain of looking at a bunch of wires. It also makes you look professional and I think you guys did a great job with it. Lastly, I wanted to say that you guys did a great job creating a piece that attracted people to stop and enjoy the piece as well as ask what the projection was all about. I do wish I could have seen the piece lined up nicely with the architecture of the building without any edges showing. I think the location in which you set up was your biggest downfall. If you could have set up on the hill across the greenway from your original location you might have been able to get a clean projection without any architecturally misaligned edges. But overall I liked the idea and it looked great.

MEL'S HARMONIC TRIBUTE
I loved the colors and masking in this project. The moving, circle masked, images made me think that they were bubbles on the screen and I spent the rest of the time thinking about how that could be used more. Additionally, the physical performance of incorporating the harmonica into the small amp speaker was very original; if the harmonica were on any other kind of speaker, it would have not worked as well as it did with that small, distorted speaker. I really appreciated the high detail in the characters in the piece when the transparency button in live draw was used. The three "goddesses" looked very impressive with the colors moving around in the detailed and somewhat fragile dark areas of their bodies. Overall I want to say that I am personally blown away by your ability to do such a great job performing this piece with no one other than yourself. It was very impressive and it makes me ask myself what I could do better to improve my self-efficiency. Although I liked the piece very much, I felt as though the content was not suitable to the location and I felt that the piece did not embody the culture of the greenway. If there was a connection to the location, I could not really find it. Is there a connection to the location in any way? I am curious.

PROJECTION WITH PEOPLE SITTING DOWN IN FRONT OF THE PROJECTO ON THE FAR EAST WALL AWAY FROM THE BIKE SHOP
I apologize, I did realize that this projection was actually taking place when it was, and I failed to actually see the piece. I would have really liked to see it. I am going to look at the reflections that other had on the piece and I will revise this section on things that I appreciate about things about your project that other people say. I apologize again, hopefully I will have another chance to see it.

SEAN AND NICOLA's ALIEN INSIGHT UNDER THE BRIDGE
Wow. Your outfits definably deserve more praise than it received after your piece was done. Those costumes looked amazing in the psychedelic light of the projector and I have to let you know that I think that they really helped in a major way with your piece. In addition to the costumes, I really appreciated the sense of insight into the piece with the poem/story that Nicola read, and although Sean did not say anything, I felt a similar presence with him as well. I also found the location your piece was held in was a perfect place. It seemed hidden and secluded; the exact setting I imagined the piece to take place in. The columns also did a great job of framing the piece which made it appealing and easy to focus my attention. I did have a hard time hearing what Nicola was saying during her speech/dialogue due to the volume of the music being played by Sean; it would have been nice to hear everything she said. But overall I found the piece really interesting! I appreciated the performance aspect of the projection and I think it did a lot for your piece.

RIDE BY TRAFFIC
The ideology behind this project was very interesting and innovative. It opened a new realm of urban projection that I don't think anyone has really tapped into, and that is what I'm going to call Flash Viewing (where the viewers only see the projection for a split second. I find it very inspiring. I appreciated how you guys took the perspective approach, similar to what we did, to make the wall feel as though it keeps going. I also appreciated that the clip was sped up; it helped me see it as something more than just a video of cars moving around. I am not sure if you guys had this in mind, but I could see this being a piece that has multiple locations both day and night. I liked the idea a lot and I could see it having a lot of potential.