Mel: projection with live music

Mel had some projections of color and characters that she projected while singing and playing harmonica.

i didn't see this piece. :(

This was the only piece I saw in it's entirety. Here are some thoughts: I found this piece, because of the live performance of music, to be very intimate, perhaps uncomfortably intimate, and I think that this experience is what really recommends it in my memory of the night. At first, I didn't feel that the projection was especially pertinent to the work, esp. when it was just colors; they weren't esp. visually impressive, but as the work continued, the projection and musical performance seemed to me to become more connected. I liked that the piece inspired some interaction, and I wish that there had been some more room for that, either in the design of the work, or in the setting of its performance. The work had a great affect.

This was kvery cool for me. You had problems and still managed to entertain and have some neat visuals. The interaction with the people listening and the use of a harmonica was fun and added a special touch. If it ran smoother without so many glitches it would be much better.

This performance took a hell of a lot of bravery and I have to salute you for that. The harmonica is an instantly homey sort of instrument and has a recognizable sound that evokes a lot of memories for most people. Singing, as Liam mentioned, is always a very intimate experience and it definitely had a profound effect on the viewers. I liked the use of transparency in the images, but overall I think the project was a bit too long for me. The piece lost it's natural momentum at a certain point and I think a shorter version might be more effective.

It definitely felt spiritual, but of some modern throwback to ancient cultures somehow... and punky? Not punky in a disrespectful way but in a 'we are so disconnected from where this began that we can only pretend to understand it fully'.
I don't know how to say that more clearly.
I think the piece definitely made me "feel" a certain way more than some of the other pieces.

A different location would have suited this piece better. Somewhere with better acoustics and relating to the subject at hand.

This was an abstract piece, and I was alright with the experience I had watching it.
Aesthetically, the images you had growing were intriguing and I couldn't quite figure out what they were, although I kept trying.
Of note for me was the way the projection appropriated the actual foreground, including several twiggy trees, and considering the color scheme the resultant mood was like something out of Wonderland. Not sure if you intended this but it's often the things I don't foresee that enhance my ideas.
Harmonica breath was an interesting gesture, but I would have liked to feel it pulsating along with the visual. You were very free-flowing, which was a great risk to take, allowing the vocals to improvise with the process...
Nice pocket amp as well.

The singing and the harmonica really made this piece for me. The visuals were interesting as well, but the live musical performance really grabbed my attention. Like Bradley said, this piece had a very spiritual feel to it, and I really liked that about it.

Really appreciate Mel's courage to use livedraw and that too without a partner. She chose her elements selectively but they were too many and distant from each other. There is a possibility of weaving some of them together and revisit her world of fantasy via spiritual elements.

Recent Comments

• Meena Mangalvedhekar: Really appreciate Mel's courage to use livedraw and that too read more
  • newma262: The singing and the harmonica really made this piece for read more
  • keirx004: This was an abstract piece, and I was alright with read more
  • Bradley: It definitely felt spiritual, but of some modern throwback to read more
  • mccor234: This performance took a hell of a lot of bravery read more
  • cayko001: This was kvery cool for me. You had problems and read more
  • gils0042: This was the only piece I saw in it's entirety. read more
  • donov094: i didn't see this piece. :( read more
  • carpe237: Though you had some technical difficulties in the beginning, I read more