Miniature My World - Casey/Zachary/Joey

Post your Reflection to Miniature My World.

I think I was taking down some projectors or something when you performed this piece... Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing what had been described about it.

Didn't get to see too much of this piece, I was also hauling stuff around at this point.

I did see about 30 seconds worth. The images were really great, and definitely had that miniature feel. Watching it on a wall was very cool. I missed the 'point', but that could be from my short time with the piece.

Aesthetically, I really liked this work. The tilt filter you used created that wonderful 'tiny world' feeling with the video, and the music was especially well done. I guess I felt that the main thing that bothered me in this regard was that the video selection seemed kind of disjointed; e.g. the videos clips had very different aesthetics (flat stock footage vs. edited tilt/shift). Still, I think that this criticism is only marginally relevant, and that, with the live music and the full color video, the project was very effective at conveying your point.

I do not believe that I saw this mini work.

What I did see were images of the Mississippi River at St. Anthony's falls, and the face shots of the stereotypically Native American Man. I recognized the footage of the Native man from some strange clip on youtube. I read the St.Anthony's falls site as an area of linked exploitation, of environmental resources and the conquest of land from native peoples. I've encountered stories and depictions about initial encounters between the Dakota and Father Hennepin, an a false interpretation of a Dakota sacrifice. I particularly critique the choice in representation of a stereotypical Native American.

The representation links cultural ideals of the noble savage, and the romantic notion of Native Americans being connected to the environment. The youtube clips portray the Native American acting bewildered at the site of pollution of the river. In this respect, the clip makes sense, despite its stereotypical drawback; because the ecology of the Mississippi river and land were disrupted and polluted by the Milling industry.

Given the specifics related to the site (Dakota tribe), did the group discuss the implications of stereotypical Native representation?

I too was wrapping of other tasks at the time and didn't know the video was going on until near the end...
So I remember a screenshot of what our classmate calls the stereotypical Native American, as well as moment of tilt-shift. In terms of the latter, the technology is great in the sense that it can produce "that wonderful 'tiny world' feeling." I like the idea of using the local landscape in our art; in the future it would be interesting to see tilt-shift used for both the place and content, such as poignant moments of crime or celebration - something that really resonates. then again I don't know the editing process, and maybe didn't see enough of your piece to know that you indeed didn't go there.
Regarding the placement of Native Americans, I'm not sure if it was necessarily a reinforcement of stereotypes, but our fellow public projectionist has a point. It's part of our history and we can actively reinforce or challenge stereotypes... but we know that.

for this piece, i would have enjoyed more focus.
if it were me, i would have focused just on the tilt-shift footage/world

i'd prefer the music to mimic the miniaturization of a large world.
In addition, id prefer prerecorded music to live music.

Recent Comments

• donov094: for this piece, i would have enjoyed more focus. if read more
  • keirx004: I too was wrapping of other tasks at the time read more
  • drag0061: I do not believe that I saw this mini work. read more
  • gils0042: Aesthetically, I really liked this work. The tilt filter you read more
  • Bradley: Didn't get to see too much of this piece, I read more
  • carpe237: I think I was taking down some projectors or something read more
  • walke803: The tilt filter on this piece was really amazing. It read more