Jane/Meena: Urban Rural experience

Urban Rural experience;
Video and Still images, stop motion drawings.

Unfortunately, I also missed this performance. Nicola and I must have been setting up. :(

The imagery was great, I really enjoyed the projection and the crowd really added to the enjoyment. I wasn't always sure what was going on as I missed the beginning and was a bit removed from the area, but what I did see was great.

I thought the use of the rural imagery worked well in the space of the greenway, which is an odd sort of space in a very urban setting. I would've liked a bit more concentrated impact from the piece though, with more of the intent behind the media being apparent.

The light pollution really hurt this one. It was difficult for me to make out the content.
The BenQ projector would have aided this, since the casio had trouble projecting that far and in that well-lit of an area.

The content was nice to look at, but again, difficult to "connect" since only half of it was visible most of the time.

I thought this work was really strong, relaying a series of interrelated images in a narrative structure. I found the inter-generational and intercultural audience interaction a surprising component, as to the different ways a work can be read. One little girl exclaimed when pack man ate up world resources, it was funny! Another was asking, 'where is that building?, asking about the imagery of places local to Minneapolis.

Overall, I got the feeling that the work was presenting alternatives, to the ways in which we move in the world that involve over consumption. A rhetoric that is common in the left, and I think susceptible to privillaged ideas, abotu how we should live.

I think this piece avoids falling into cliche trappings with the creation of engaging moving and still images. One still image that stuck out, was the superimpostion of the skier on snow transposed over a car in traffic. I was especially attracted to the dripping blood, in the patterned design, utilizing the pulsation of red and blue colors. I definitely felt the heart present. This imagery communicates differently that jam packed cars and the symbol of the globe.

I think I got the message.

I too was either space dancing or facilitating the bike project at the time.
Dammit, someone tell me the next time I'm space dancing during your piece, and I'll come space dance at your piece.

Recent Comments

• keirx004: I too was either space dancing or facilitating the bike read more
  • drag0061: I thought this work was really strong, relaying a series read more
  • Bradley: The light pollution really hurt this one. It was difficult read more
  • mccor234: I thought the use of the rural imagery worked well read more
  • cayko001: The imagery was great, I really enjoyed the projection and read more
  • donov094: Unfortunately, I also missed this performance. Nicola and I must read more
  • carpe237: I have to say, I didn't get to fully enjoy read more