The Anticipated Water Pipe - Sean and Friends

Post your reflections below for the group members who made the Water Pipe Piece.

Has bradley now multiplied into multiple people? cool feat. But, about the project: I loved how much it builded and how much antici PATion there was. This is one where it would be really sweet very small- maybe only 2 feet tall.

We will probably be tweaking and re-displaying this piece at the next outing.

Seeing it in location helped me realize some of the mistakes in timing I made, but otherwise it achieved what I wanted it to.

I really need to get more efficient and just more knowledgeable about Flash to make the visuals match the sound.
The piece IS about anticipation, and I wanted a long wait for a simple visual reward, but I think I can make that reward more rewarding.

Sean did a great job editing the sound together quickly and under pressure.

My first though here was that this would be a great installation. I liked the way it could be added as an architectural detail, and just left to run its cycle, and yet anyone who watches it would get your message. I guess I have to add that I found some of the audio effects extremely annoying, and that this might discourage a casual passerby from approaching/examining the work.

What I observed was a dripping water pipe. I found this simple image compliant embedded in it's environment. Maybe I missed something? I initially want more: is that a component of anticipation? Either projected at a larger scale, replicated, or with variations.

Melle

One other thing, I did not realize that sound was engaged with the piece. Maybe there was too much going on in the space. - Melle

Best example yet of a project designed with location in mind.
Anticipation is obviously the strong suit of the piece... which I do appreciate. Not sure if the sound was married to the visual except in the moment of SPLASH, but I'm aware there were time constraints... if the intent was to make the anticipation build with a level of discomfort according to the audio, I'd say right on, and go deeper. I got that idea because of the high-frequency ringing at points, but again I'm not sure if it came together in the way I'm imagining here.
Whether or not it comes across in my projects I've been all about thinking minimally of late, as I think the most complex things can often be shown simply; so it was good to see an extreme to that effect. Still it might be fun to play with repetition or rhythm: what happens if the build-up gets so intense that it just lets fly all that has wings - still intense but in a different way than before?

The flash portion of this piece was really quite enjoyable, I love the slow build and the anticipation of such a simple image of the faucet. The high-pitched screech of audio that went along with it however was pure aural warfare and actually physically painful for me and not fun at all. Maybe use an effective sound that isn't quite as painful?

I liked this piece. The water pipe felt right at home in the environment and added a new texture to the building. The anticipation of the water dripping is exciting. I am not sure if i see any deeper meaning behind the piece though. Dripping water is dripping water, and while it is visually interesting, i wonder if more can be done thematically. Also, the sound was not fun, it made me want to move away form the piece more than anything.

im now convinced that the high sound was a silly and ineffective idea.
i just like experimenting with sounds. but, yeh, i don't think it helped the piece. perhaps i could have high pitched metal sounds that are less painful.

for next time, i would like more drips, and less open space. I'd also like to totally recompose the score. perhaps make it less musical.

Recent Comments

• donov094: im now convinced that the high sound was a silly read more
  • cayko001: I liked this piece. The water pipe felt right at read more
  • mccor234: The flash portion of this piece was really quite enjoyable, read more
  • keirx004: Best example yet of a project designed with location in read more
  • drag0061: One other thing, I did not realize that sound was read more
  • drag0061: What I observed was a dripping water pipe. I found read more
  • gils0042: My first though here was that this would be a read more
  • Bradley: We will probably be tweaking and re-displaying this piece at read more
  • walke803: Guys, I really appreciated this project. It as so minimal, read more
  • carpe237: Has bradley now multiplied into multiple people? cool feat. But, read more