The Spiritual Sand - Jane and Mel

Post your reflections for Jane and Mel's Spiritual Sand Piece.

This was definitely theatre for me. Held my attention and made me ask myself questions. Extremely intimate perfomance. I still don't know what it "means", but I'm glad I witnessed it.

This piece was super theatrical and super intimate. I was spellbound the whole time; it held my entire attention. There was one section when Jane wasn't doing too much, and it was mostly a video element, when I thought the work lost a little poignancy, but I can't say that overall it effected the work much. The only criticism I have of this work is that it really has to be viewed as a theater piece, from beginning to end, by an audience giving their full attention. I think on an outing like the last one, that is great, but I wonder if that is the right direction for this class as a whole.

I was wondering how the sound scape came into this piece; I remember hearing a sort of primal scream or moan that really connected me to the live visual experience. Although I found it pretty raw, getting at the performance of womanhood/being alive, and was captured by Jane's physical performance, I thought the projection could have been left out - or, given the context of this class, suited more specifically to the performance in the foreground. It's a difficult task to join two mediums together and I appreciate the experiment... now let's see a reincarnation.

I definitely felt that this piece broke down the walls of public versus private space. I felt like I was observing a very personal, possibly even religious ceremony and the feeling that I was observing something so private actually made me feel mildly uncomfortable. The imagery of the beating heart was very powerful, and the spare, stark lighting also felt incredibly striking. I'm not sure if I enjoyed this piece, but it definitely left a very strong impression on me and left me with a lot to think about!

I really like this piece. The live performance mixed with the great sound and projection really worked for me. It was a very impassioned performance and was exciting to see. I liked it best when it was a simple white projection over Jane and we could see her shadow so clearly, I thought this best used the live performance and tech aspect best and was visually pleasing. It was a very strong performance. Great job

I agree with Zach on his first point. I felt as though I was almost intruding on something intensely personal and the sort of awkwardness that I felt was enlightening. I still don't know the intentions behind the piece, but I remember thinking that it has the strong imagery of very spiritual ayahuasca trips that I have read about. I want to say I enjoyed this piece, but I feel as though it was not intended to be enjoyed, so I can definitely say that I was moved.

It was dramatic, suspenseful, and bold. For all of this, I was very impressed.
I would have preferred Mel's character to be more apparent, or to be much less apparent (either facing the audience with Jane, or off to the side away from our view.
In general, the piece reminded me of 2001 space odyssey and meredith monk. (sonically, and conceptually).

I would change very much, only the set up/staging of the piece.

good work!

Recent Comments

• donov094: It was dramatic, suspenseful, and bold. For all of this, read more
  • joh07312: I agree with Zach on his first point. I felt read more
  • cayko001: I really like this piece. The live performance mixed with read more
  • mccor234: I definitely felt that this piece broke down the walls read more
  • keirx004: I was wondering how the sound scape came into this read more
  • gils0042: This piece was super theatrical and super intimate. I was read more
  • Bradley: This was definitely theatre for me. Held my attention and read more
  • walke803: I really appreciated the performance aspect of this piece. Jane read more