Minnesota Affiliate News - May 2008
Association of Family and
Consumer Sciences - Minnesota Affiliate
Public Issues Leadership Development (PILD) In Washington DC
I attended this conference along with six other educators representing their Extension professional organizations, two Citizen Advisory Committee members, two presenters from Minnesota and seven administrators. The actual conference is the first two days with visits to legislators on the third day. It was an excellent experience. Some highlights:
- presentations by a number of CSREES and USDA administrators; very helpful in understanding the complexities of Extension at the national level.
- Breakfast with National Program Leaders: I chose to sit at the table of Caroline Crocoll, Family Science NPL
- NEAFCS session; we heard from Cynthia Reeves Tuttle, Director of Nutrition and Family Sciences, CSREES, USDA, and Joan Gill, NPL, Tribal Colleges and Universities
- Ilona Nickels, Public Policy Analyst, speaking on Understanding the 110th Congress
For the day on the Hill, our entire group met with staffers for both senators. We then divided into program teams. The Family/Youth team which I was part of had appointments with staffers for Representatives Betty McCollum, Keith Ellison and Michelle Bachman. We also visited Representative Collin Peterson’s office briefly. More highlights:
- Tour and lunch at National Association of Counties (NACo) headquarters courtesy of Jeanne Markell, Tabor Fellow at NACo
- Meeting and picture with Senator Amy Klobuchar
Attendees I know of so far: Becky Hagen Jokela, Jo Musich, Kim Asche, Kathy Olson, Colleen Gengler
- keep me posted if you decide to go
Earlybird registration – register at the $395 level by June 15. After that it is $495 through August 15. There is no onsite registration.
- As you register, be sure to note what meals are included in registration. As you register, you will want to sign up for the Regional Awards Banquet on Thursday evening, Sept. 18, North Central Region. There is no NEAFCS awards banquet.
- There are optional tours you will want to check out before starting the registration process.
- You will also need to make housing reservations at Galaxy designated hotels. You will be given an acknowledgement number. Without that number, there is an additional $250 charge. Some of the designated hotels are already filled on certain nights.
Travel – there is some interest in driving to Indianapolis. Again, keep me posted of developments. I do know a couple of people who have already made plane reservations.
April 24 Professional Development Day
Thank you to the committee for a very good day: Suzanne Driessen, Chairperson; Minnell Tralle, Mary Schroeder and Lori Hendrickson. Be sure to fill out the evaluation at:
And, thanks to the Membership/Awards Committee for the special touches that day.