Your 2013-2014 Officer Candidates

We will be coming together at our annual meeting in Duluth in October and on our agenda will be election of two new officers. Kathy Brandt will be moving to President, Jennifer Garbow will move to Past-President, Connie Burns will serve as secretary for the second year of her term. Kay Lovett will finish her two year term as Treasurer.

We will be electing our new President-Elect and Treasurer (two year term). Meet our candidates!

Lori Hendrickson - Pres-Elect Candidate

Hello NEAFCS-MN members and friends,

My name is Lori Hendrickson and I am an Extension Educator & Extension Professor for the University of Minnesota Extension. I am sharing this biography with you to get to know me a bit, as a candidate for President-Elect of NEAFCS-MN.

I have worked as an Extension Educator in Family Resource Management (or other such titles) since 1988. Prior to that, I taught high school home economics in Pipestone, MN and Orr, MN. My work with the University of Minnesota Extension has been varied and began with a position in Itasca County Extension, with later transitions to the Grand Rapids Regional Office. My work over the years has included basic personal financial management, youth and money topics, housing, and financial recovery in disaster.

I hold a Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree with emphasis in Special Education and a Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.S.) degree in Home Economics Education, both from the University of Minnesota-Duluth. I am an Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC) designation from the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education and am certified in Family and Consumer Sciences (CFCS) by the American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences. I have been a member of AAFCS/MAFCS for over 25 years and a member of NEAFCS for about 24 years.

During my years as a member of NEAFCS-MN I have been involved as an area representative in northern Minnesota and as a committee member and chair of a variety of committees. I have participated in the wonderful experience of PILD and have taken part in a number of national conferences. I have often thought about when the "right time" would be to take a leadership role. As I looked at my commitments over the next several years and current grant projects wrapping up, I thought there wouldn't be a "better time" than now to take that leap. So, I am placing my name in nomination for NEAFCS-MN President-Elect.

When I am not working, my husband John and I enjoy traveling, looking for treasures at antique stores and cheering on our UMD Bulldogs throughout the football and hockey seasons. We have recently welcomed a kitten to our family and are having fun getting to know her.

Lori Hendrickson.png

Mary Caskey - Treasurer Candidate

Greetings fellow NEAFCS-MN Members!

As a candidate for Treasurer for our state association, I would like to share a little of my NEAFCS and Extension background. I have been an Extension Educator in Health & Nutrition for the past 14 years with the University. I have worked in the field of nutrition for over 30 years in a variety of programs targeting low-income audiences such as Head Start, WIC and the SNAP-Ed program. My work as an Extension Educator has also focused on providing trainings to school foodservice staff to increase their nutrition knowledge base and to improve the nutritional quality of school meals served to Minnesota students.

I have been a member of NEAFCS-MN since 2005 and held these offices: President-elect, President and Past President during the years 2009-2012. I have also served as co-chair of the Awards/Membership committee. My attention to details, organizational skills and knowledge of our organization would serve me well as your state treasurer. I have attended 4 national NEAFCS conferences with plans to attend the Galaxy conference in Pittsburgh this September. I believe it's important to support and be an active member of our state association.

Personally, my husband, Doug and I live in central MN, just west of St. Cloud. We are very fortunate that our 2 daughters/husbands live within easy driving distance of our home so we can spoil our 4 grandchildren. As you can imagine, our life currently revolves around spending time with these 4 amazing little people - what a joy to see life through their eyes. We are going through a second childhood spending our free time ATV riding, snowmobiling and canoeing.

Mary Caskey.JPG

Candidates 2012

Following is information for candidates that are running for office. The first paragraph is from Kathy Olson, who is running for national NEAFCS President- Elect. Minnesota is extremely proud of Kathy and wish her the very best as she runs for this important office!

The next two bios are for NEAFCS-MN Affiliate positions of President-Elect (Kathy Brandt) and Secretary (Connie Burns). Elections will be held at our Annual Meeting in October in Bloomington.

KOlson.jpg NEAFCS provides an amazing network of professional colleagues and friends that one can develop through involvement with this incredible organization. My Extension career has provided me with leadership and professional development opportunities where I can serve our membership in a leadership role. I have attended 21 Annual Sessions in addition to other state and national conferences, holding numerous leadership positions. I have served on the Board as Co-liaison, Secretary and Vice President for Professional Development and have gained considerable knowledge and experience, and have a good handle on all aspects of the Association. I enjoy meeting Extension educators from all over the country, learning more about their work and building relationships and networking. We have an outstanding group of professionals serving on the Board and I would be honored to continue to be part of the team. I am committed to continuing the advancement of the well-being of the organization and to create and support new and exciting initiatives for NEAFCS and its members. I would be honored and humbled to fill such an important role for the association.

kahty brandt2.jpg
Candidate for President-Elect
Kathy Brandt, Extension Educator, Food Safety

Greetings NEAFCS-MN Members!

During my career I've had the opportunity to work in a variety of positions, in and out of Extension. Included in the opportunities are teaching public school in the area of Family and Consumer Sciences in Crookston and Worthington; being a W.I.C. coordinator and nutrition educator with Cottonwood-Jackson Public Health; managing the Home Service Marketing test kitchen for the Schwan Food Company; and positions with NDSU Extension and U of M Extension in Cottonwood County, Nobles County, and currently as a regional educator based in Marshall. All totaled, I've had about 20 years with Extension. During those years I've served on many committees for our association but haven't said yes to a leadership position. You might be thinking "it's about time" and that's what I thought too! It's an honor to be asked to run for president-elect and I'm looking forward to working with all of you to keep good things going.

On a personal note - I've been married to Brian for 33 years; we have two sons, Erik and Chris; and one wonderful grandson, Aiden. These guys are the lights of my life! We keep busy with competitive BBQ, community and SMSU involvement, family and friends.

Connie Burns webphoto.JPG
Candidate for Secretary
Connie Burns, Extension Educator, Health & Nutrition

Dear Members and Friends of NEAFCS-MN Affiliate,

My name is Connie Burns, and I'm the Extension Educator in Health and Nutrition for the West Central (Morris) Region.

I am writing to express my interest in becoming Secretary for the 2012-14 term.

All organizations work best when communication is accurate and timely, and I feel that I can provide this in the role of Secretary. I have worked in the secretarial position before for other organizations, and feel I have the knowledge and background to help our organization move forward.

I've been with Extension for five years and have especially enjoyed the variety of work that is involved with the position. We are making great strides 'out on the prairie' with families and communities in need!

Before coming to Extension, I worked as a Registered Dietitian in hospitals, nursing homes and the WIC Program. I have taught basic nutrition courses at the community college level, both face to face and online. I have a special interest in staff development and facilitative teaching methods, and have designed online courses for our Community Nutrition Educators across the state.

I live north of Alexandria with Fred, who is retired from over 30 years with USDA/NRCS (Natural Resources). He consults now with Ducks Unlimited. I'm currently half-way through the Masters of Education Program through UM-Duluth, so that keeps me busy. If I'm not working on a class, you'll find me hiking or biking in the local state park (Lake Carlos) with a camera in hand. I've taught yoga for years, and continue to offer classes when I have time.

Thank you for considering me for the Secretary position with NEAFCS-MN!

Connie Burns, MS/RD

Notification to Membership: Canidate for President Elect--Jennifer Garbow

Greetings members and friends of NEAFCS-MN Affiliate
My name is Jennifer Garbow and I am an Assistant Extension Professor in Family Resource Management, located at the Crookston Regional Office.jennifergarbowphotowoods.jpg

I am writing this letter to you to express my interest in becoming President Elect for the term of 2011-2012. I joined Extension three years ago, and have thoroughly enjoyed learning about how our mission and work within Extension positively impacts Minnesota families and the communities in which they live.

The past two years I have served on the Board of Directors for the Minnesota Fathers and Families Network, a fantastic organization and a truly rewarding experience for me, both professionally as well as personally. Also, my family and I volunteer monthly at the Red Lake Homeless Shelter, preparing a dinner for the residents and staff. I it is important for me to contribute my time and talents in professional organizations, and engage in my community. For this reason, I am very interested to learn more about our NEAFCS organization, and I am also interested in thinking about new ways in which Minnesota can contribute to national efforts within the larger organization.

A few personal tidbits about me, I have four children, the two oldest boys are entering their sophomore and junior years, and both are three sport athletes and love to run! My daughter will be nine this month and enjoys acting and singing; she participated in a summer theater production last month in Bemidji and was fantastic. And then there is my little guy-George. George will be two in November is the absolute joy of my life. My husband and I enjoy riding motorcycle, seeing our state on back of a bike gives me a great appreciation for just how beautiful our state is.

Thank you for considering me for the President-Elect position. I look forward to becoming more active in our association and learning more about my colleagues across Extension.

Secretary and President Elect Candidates for 2010-11

SaraV.910 3x5.jpg

At our NEAFCS, Minnesota Affiliate Annual Meeting (Tuesday, October 6 from 7 - 9 AM) we will be electing officers for secretary and President-elect. Sara Van Offelen is our candidate for secretary. We will also be taking nominations from the floor.

Sara Van Offelen has been an employee of the University of Minnesota Extension for sixteen years. The last six years have been in the position of Extension Educator - Health and Nutrition. Besides being a member of NEAFCS, she is a member of the Society for Nutrition Education. Work interests include developing curriculum for the "Go Wild" and "Simply Good Cooking" programs. Sara supervises the Simply Good Eating Program in the Moorhead and Fergus Falls regional area. Personally, Sara has four children that keep her busy and she enjoys flower gardening.

Jill5 3x5.jpg
President Elect Jill Kokkonen May

Jill Kokkonen May has been with the U of MN Extension for over 25 years. She has served as extension educator in Hubbard County in 4-H/Home Economics, Extension Director, Food Nutrition and Health specialized educator, supervisor of Nutrition Education Assistants, and most recently as Extension Associate Professor, Extension Educator in Health & Nutrition with the Brainerd Regional Office. She has most recently been involved with the development, training, and implementation of the new database system for the federal SNAP-Ed program in Minnesota, the Healthy & Fit on the Go initiative, Nutrition Education Program focus group evaluation and program changes, and the development of the Simply Good Cooking curriculum pilot in northern Minnesota. One of Jill's main interests is taking current nutrition research and present findings in clear and understandable ways through a variety of venues such as presentations,Twitter and webinars.