« 5323 - Exemplar community presentation | Main

Asynchronous discussions in 5323

Asynchronous week - 5323

I believe the asynchronous week discussions in 5323 went well...but even though I feel really connected to my classmates for this course, the time spent away from them as a group makes me feel very disconnected. I almost feel like I am not taking the class anymore. It's a strange feeling - I think the explanation for this is that we have met face-to-face so much - so not meeting face-to-face makes it feel like we are done. This is a very bad attitude - since I have much more to complete (article presentation, quick start draft, etc). I better snap out of this....

In contrast, 5101 is entirely online and has been online. I don't have the same sort of connection with my classmates in this class, but I also don't feel as though I'm done (or that I am not taking a class) just because we are not meeting f2f...I think it's the change from meeting f2f primarily to now not that has caused my perception change for 5323.

Since I teach so many online courses, this experience has really made me evaluate the role of community for this educational format...