Assignment 2

To get my playful and creative juices flowing, I ended up making an impromptu song while making bean-dip in the kitchen after a melody entered my head. The entire process took around 20 minutes from start to finish and involved clinking bowls, plates, cups, and other dish-ware that was around me in the kitchen. I took out my laptop and started recording around a simple melody and added some effects to make things more interesting. It is complete nonsense:
Chips (and stuff like that)I.m4a

I then went to work on a mind map in my notebook. It honestly didn't end up terribly in-depth or divergent, but it influenced some ideas I ended up with for the the 10 sketches portion of the assignment.

photo.jpg

The three sub-themes I chose from this were winter transportation (mostly non-motorized options/things useful for students), christmas trees (something new or a multiuse version), and stuck cars (ways to get unstuck or prevent getting stuck, etc.).

The 10 ideas were:

Disco Tree

dt.jpg

Plow Boots

pb.jpg

Plow Bike

pbi.jpg

Wrapping Paper Jacket

wpj.jpg

Camo Snow Jacket

csj.jpg

Shovel Gloves

sg.jpg

Warm Snowman

wsm.jpg

Hand Turkey Gloves

htg.jpg

Cool (not hip) Snowman Jacket (keeps snowman cold)

Snowcano Kit (like science experiment)

First of all, I would like to say that "Chips (and Stuff Like That)" might just be a new christmas classic.

As far as the assignment, I liked it! Your ideas are very non-bound by practical reality. These of course may not turn in to actual products, but certain details of one may manifest in a more feasible product.

The only recommendation I would have is to write a super short description along with each idea just to get the point across. Just to help clear things up. Like with Hand-Turkey Glovths. Is it made of turkey? Do you decorate them yourself? What the heck is a glovth!

Just for clarifications sake. Good process though!

What a hilarious and fun way to get your creative juices flowing. I totally agree with the above reviewer about how "Chips (and Stuff Like That)" is probably a new Christmas classic. Way to go!

Additionally, your ideas are great. My favorite was the plow boots. How practical! To improve your blog in the future you could crop your images to make them clearer. Also maybe you could give a sentence or two of background about what it is that inspired you to design the idea for this product or how the product could be used/would be useful. I'm very curious about the camo snow jacket and where that idea came from.

Hey Rory,

Really solid post, liked your way of loosening up (and yes I did listen to it, and yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it). Your mind map also was very good, although difficult to digest. Maybe try using bolder lines for the larger sub-categories or make the illustrations brighter so as to draw the eye. This might make the mind map more useful later on. And like pretty much everyone's mind map, you could definitely explore more!

A few formatting things; sideways photos, probably not the best. Kinda hard to read. If you could have the labels below each photo I think that would also make it clearer.

Otherwise it was great post, nice job!

Hey Rory,

Otherwise it was great post, nice job!