This is great!-kaitlin

I know we're all basically done reading this blog, but this really goes out to Heba.

You may recall my zine about germs. My roomate brought a copy of my zine to her microbiology professor, she thought he might appreciate it. Well, he loved it! He sent me an email and would like me to make copies for him to distribute to his fellow microbiologists at their next convention. Yay!
I have to crank out a bunch before next week-but I am SO all over it. I'm going national! Sort of. I now understand the powers of the zine. and roomates. and germs.

Laura Anderson-Sketchbook Post #9

Since my graphic novel I showed on Thursday looks quite similar to the finished product, Heba said I could post something else that was interesting and realted to this class for my 9th entry. So here it is.

Great art is always around us, not just in museums. Some art that I've become more and more familiar with is not in a gallery but at my job. I work at Kieran's Irish Pub, downtown, and there is a lot of crazy awesome art in the pub, most of it done buy this guy, John Erste. There a a number of drawings and paintings. Here are just a few:

Continue reading "Laura Anderson-Sketchbook Post #9" »

My Kid Could Paint That

Hey guyyyyyys! So over spring break I happened to run across this documentary at movie gallery called "My Kid Could Paint That". I don't know if any of you have heard of Marla Olmstead, but she's an amazing abstract painter...and only 4 YEARS OLD! She's been compared to Picasso and has sold many of her paintings for thousands of dollars! It was really interesting and you should definitely check it out!

I also thought she'd be interesting to do for someone's artist! Check out her website at marlaolmstead.com (I forgot how to link a website to the blog! sorry!)

another!!

another one!! this one showed up in amundson hall, and i don't even know where that is. apparently, my plan to recruit my friends to spread it is working! this one came from someone i know, and he said, "sneaky zine placement" on my facebook wall. man, i feel so cool.

i might have to come out with an issue #2.

exciting news!!

hey everybody! i just got an email from somebody named kyle about my zine. it said, "i wanna be sneaky too! love, kyle." i am just so excited over this.

:D

You suck at Photoshop #8

Just looking online at videos and came across this one. Apparently it is number eight of a sereis of them.

To the Beat Zine, Eduardo Cortes

Hello everyone.

Since I never had my zine critiqued in class I would love to hear comments or feedback about it from anybody.
My zine was the one called "To the Beat". Electronic music genres.
In the zine I put some examples of some songs for each genre but obviously you need to hear them first. So below there is a link that will show you the songs from each genre so you guys can listen to them. You have to be patient since this kind of music tends to be repetitive and a little tedious. Just click on the link and open with windows media player or any mp3 player.
Enjoy.
Eduardo.

http://manilo82.googlepages.com/

Chelsey: Post 5: Edward Gorey

Edward Gorey has influenced allot of many of the movies, themes, and illustration styles that we have all become familiar with. He is one of my favorite, FAVORITE illustrators, and I'd like to just take this opportunity to say, "DIBS!
Edward Gorey.jpg

Grandma Wisdom from YOU!!

Hey everyone-
As you might know, my zine is a sort of etiquette/advice book as told by a funny old grandma character. I'm including some funny tidbits of grandma-like wisdom from my own Grandmother, but I also got some great grandma-tips from my group members today, so I thought I'd extend the question to the whole class. What's a piece of advice, cooking tip, cleaning tip, proper manners tip, or other bit of grandma-like wisdom you got from your grandma? I've heard things like; ladies cross their ankles, not their knees, food should be cooked with butter and love, fashionably late is seven minutes, tang orange juice crystals can clean a sink, don't scowl because it'll give you wrinkles.... ect, ect. If any of you have any great little jems of wisdom from your grandmothers, I'd love to hear them and put them in my zine, I think it would be really neat to have info from members of my class, instead of just ones I find on the internet. Thanks Guys!

-Ellie

Volvo Ocean Race stopover in July 2006. from Eduardo Cortes

So one of the videos posted in this blog a while ago that was about laser graffiti on a huge building or whatever reminded me of an event that happened in Rotterdam, Netherlands. It was during the Volvo Ocean Race which is a huge sailboat race for competitors around the world. Anyways, on one of the nights DJ Tiesto played on a sailboat in front of thousands of people and I was actually there with my friends! So I want to share this video so that you guys can see how creative organizers of this race-concert can be. I wonder how long it took them to design this whole event and what they did to prevent any mistakes since they could not afford to make a single one.

Here is a better description:
During the Volvo Ocean Race stopover in July 2006, DJ Tiesto held a unique outdoor concert in the harbor of Rotterdam. While playing in front of 150.000 people, all equipment was controlled wireless. In this video you see video, audio, laser, fireworks, fire and all communications were controlled wireless.
Tiesto itself floated on a racing boat, with above him the LED screen of U2, but shaped as a sail. Dutch based company Sonic One took care of all showcontrol and wireless connections, while XPLO Events took care of the total production.

are you serious?!

dear everybody,

today, i was toting my work for the portrait with me on the bus, and a guy. came. and SAT on my paper!!! can you BELIEVE that?! luckily i was able to pull it out before any real harm was done, but still. what a jerk. i was so horrified and concerned, and it all happened so fast, that i didn't even have time to yell at him like i would have. all i could do was stare at him incredulously. just wanted to let everyone know...

-meher

Malcolm Sutherland

tourists.jpg

Check out The Tourists, a brilliant short animated film about humans on a beach by Malcolm Sutherland.

To see his galleries of animations, drawings, sketches, and abstract art go to:
http://oneiropod.com/