Magnus SkB3

SP_PGELL.B.JPG.jpg

This is an illustration by Will Eisner, a comic illustrator/writer who helped popularize graphic novels. I had to use his work as inspiration in designing a poster for COMP APP class. He has some pretty interesting stuff. Check it out at www.willeisner.com

Clarissa 's Sketchbook Post #3

IMG_0846 copy.JPG IMG_0848 copy.JPG IMG_0853 copy.JPG

These are some images that some people might have seen before. Its a graffiti wall that exists on 26th Ave and Franklin Ave here in Minneapolis. I thought that the work was really interesting and creative. I had talked to a few people who are from the Minneapolis area about it and they told me that because the building was abandoned an art group got the okay from the city to go ahead and tag the area. Its a pretty sweet culmination of different artists' work. I also thought it was cool how each area of the wall has a different message. I would definitely say its something to go see.

Whitney - Sketchbook Post #3

As far as my project goes, I'm set on incorporating fish, birds, and the moon into the two scrolls on the outside. They'll be done in a collage as well like the main figure. So as far as my post goes this week, I'm working on choosing an Artist for my presentation next week. I've narrowed it down to two and maybe just looking for some feedback on which one people would like to hear about? The first is a graphic designer, David Carson, who works a lot with type. Some examples:

14_david_carson.jpg
tocarson.jpg

The other, is an illustrator, Ellen Weinstein. She has done a lot of work with magazines and newspapers and advertising. Some examples:

9.04.vegas.jpg
camera.jpg
face.jpg

As you can tell, they both seem to work with collage, which is something I enjoy. So any feedback on who you all want to hear/learn about would be great, since I can't decide. Thanks!

David Sketchbook -3 Dove Commercial

This is a dove commercial where they take an average person and through make-up artists and photoshop they make her into a model in under a minute in quick-time. So this has been around for a while but I figured if anyone hasn't seen it yet it is something they should really watch. I knew that they did this but it is really neat to actually see them do it. Its weird thinking how designers/artists can have so much control and impact, if given the power, on how a person can really be perceived in the real world.

Emily Graupner SB3

I’m going to do my artist presentation on Ralph Steadman. I really like his work; it’s satirical and a little dark. Here’s a You Tube slide of some of his work. The song accompanying this video is ridiculous; I don’t know why they chose that.

Santos D. by Eduardo Cortes

Ok. So this is my drawing of Santos D. (18?? - 1856), who was in the inner circle of Progressives and intellectuals next to Benito Juarez (president of Mexico). He was a general, state governor of Jalisco, then minister of war and marine and also a poet. He later became a leading figure in the anticlerical movement whose goal was to clip the Church's wings in La Guerra de Reforma (War of Reform). In 1856 he was taken prisoner and killed.
In the drawing there is Santos D's "bust" and what I want to do is to show not just his political, military, etc. side but also his intellectual side. He was also a poet and a scribe and steeped himself in the works of some French philosophers like Voltaire and others. He also left behind a cultural monument: Guadalajara's famus Degollado Theatre.
Anyways, I want to add next to him the coat of arms of Guadalajara which is a pair of lions protecting a pine tree (leaves rather than needles). The Lions represent the warrior’s determination and discipline, and the solitary pine symbolizes noble ideals.
I think this would represent his two sides very good.
*Guadalajara is the capital of Jalisco and Santos D was the governor.
It looks like an easy drawing but it was a lot of work and took me a very looong time. I used a sharpie paint pen which has a thin point. its not like regular ones. I used this because the ink is very thick so it makes it pitch black.
I am still working on the coat of arms on another piece of paper and i will later attach it next to the bust. I will post that later on hopefully tonight but this is what i got for now. Other than that I don't know if I should draw a background and if I do I really don't know what.

I really really need some feedback since this is the first time I post it and it hasn't been critiqued.

Paul SB3: Graffiti Research Lab L.A.S.E.R Tag

Sort of in the same vein as Projection bombing is Graffiti Research Lab's Laster Tag. These guys set up a camera that reads where their really powerful green laser is showing, then projects that back on the building with a high power projector. This is probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen not only because I think graffiti is awesome, but because I'm a huge nerd.

http://graffitiresearchlab.com/?page_id=76

Chelsey SB3-Projection Bombing

Projection Art has been catching my eye for the last couple of years, and I think its relevant to graphic design students because it explores the new and interesting ways of advertisement that are still under the radar. Here's a link that instructs amateurs how to become a part of the new Projection Bombing craze. Also, Below is a video about a company, Deepvisual, who has made it the business to project ads and logos on to buildings.

http://www.instructables.com/id/PROJECTION-BOMBING

Nikki SB3-Sidewalk Art

post1.jpg waterfall.jpg
post2.jpg post3.jpg post4.jpg

Julian Beever is an artist who does very elaborate sidewalk drawings. He's an English artist who has drawn on pavement in England, France, German, USA, Australia, and Belgium. His drawinsg are anamorphic illusions drawn in a way in which he distorts them to create a 3D illusion. He has a photograph taken of it at the exact angle that creates the illusion. I included a photograph of a photo taken at a different angle so you can get more of an idea. I didn't chose him as my artist but I was very intrigued by his work and thought others might enjoy it too.

Matt Wenger - Post#3

IMG_0805.JPG

Hello there, so this is masterpiece (in progress) of drawing. It's King Tut, in case you don't recognize. I've drawn it on sand paper and i'm considered laying some glossy gold over top of the sand paper, but just for the face of the mummy tomb side. I've been throwing that idea around and the only concern is that it would distract to much from the rest of the drawing. Unless, the hands seem to be to much of a distraction, in which case, the gold coloring would help liven up the king tut figure. Any thoughts on that?
The hands symbolize the ancient Egyptian religion, which King Tut played a hand in in bringing that religion back to the Egypt. Well, actually, the hands symbolize diversity, since the ancient Egyptian religion involves adopting a wide array of ideas and adapting various thoughts and beliefs into their particular line of existing religion. This sort of outlook made me think of diversity and hands coming together is a pretty well established symbol of accepting and celebrating diversity. I'm not sure if i like the hands as you see now, or if they would look better with some detail, even just fingernails? maybe? Then another decision i have to make is whether to expand the hand design into the entire background or to keep them just behind the boyhood image of King Tut....? Hieroglyphics are an interest for the rest of the background if not the hands. Oh, and one more thing, What would coloring in the negative space around the hands do to the piece? good idea or bad idea?

Laura Sketchbook Post #3

finalportrait.jpg

Hey kids. So here's my portrait that we didn't get to really talk about on Thursday. First off, Stradivari being an amazingly accomplished lutier, I wanted to show him with one of his violins. I drew the violin true to the times he made it in: no chin rest, and inlay around the edge. Stradivari is depicted in his old age, the time when he created his best violins (they say because the best wood was available.) He has tired eyes, as if he's been working long hours by lantern light. The background is a collage of blueprints for the violins. The violin is based off the circle shape so it may just look like a bunch of circles not anything in particular if you just glance. The words written on the paper are the contemporary names given to the surviving instruments (I only included a few names but there are over 650 in all.) I like how this emphasizes his legacy. The music around the edge shows that Stradivari played violin too. The piece is a Paganini caprice. Paganini played a Strad too. Neat connection. Whew. I think that's it.

Sigafoos3

Hey guys, my post this week is what I had done Thursday at critique (since we ran out of time). If you have any feedback, I'd love to hear it. ;) Thanks!

P.S. The birchbark going around the left side is kind of rough and slapped on right now since I don't want it to get dirty when I do more charcoal work. Also the Native American patterns on the left are silver and black, but the black patterns are hard to see from this angle.

meher's post #3:rejected artists

i've already chosen which artist to do my up-coming presentation on (and it's a secret!). one of the artists i was considering is michael thorsby, a.k.a PMKFA. i stumbled across his website last semester in my graphic studio class while looking for inspiration. the most prominent thing i noticed in his work is a line called "it's our thing," which is printed onto t-shirts and sweatshirts and is accompanied by a few different images. here is one of the more simple designs, but the others are just as fantastic.

he has also done c.d. covers, flyers, and my personal favorite, walldrawings:

although i decided not to do my presentation on PMKFA, i encourage you to check out his website. he's got really interesting style and ideas.

www.pmkfa.com

Kaitlin-Post #3

I love the New York Times on Sunday. It comes with a magazine. It is one of my graphic-design-inspirational-cesspools for visual and written discourse. My favorite section was discontinued, True Life Tales, which was always an engaging narrative paired with an appropriate illustraion. Why it is gone, I don't know. However, NYT Sunday Magazine still comes with interesting articles, photos and illuatrations. The specialty issues are particularily fantastic, and usually relate to every design field and beyond-from architecture to fashion; travel to sustainablility. I subscribe, save, and share them.

For graphic design students, the clean fresh layouts and iconography, as well as illustraions are handy study tools-to see how the pros are doing it out there among to general American public, (outside of the design and art world, I mean). I could do without the lame advertisements-which look like fecal matter scattered among egyptian cotton bed sheets. But the magazine would probably cost $30 bucks a pop without them.

This drawing was from one of my favorite articles ever written "Guns and Yoga" by Patton Oswald. I think it's a refreshing and whimsical picture-very simple and clear as to the theme of the article. It is a lovely example of 'less is more'.
25funny190.2.jpg
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/25/magazine/25funnyhumor.t.html

Micki Artist Interest: Damien Hirst

http://www.leninimports.com/damien_hirst.html#lfbio
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/popup?id=3234825&contentIndex

I have been searching around for possible artists' to talk about and Damien Hirst was one that I randomly found and when I viewed some of his work, it was something I had never seen before. He was born in Bristol in 1965. He grew up in Leeds with his mother, Mary Brennan, and his stepfather. He is best known for a series of works where dead animals are presented as memento mori in forms ironically appropriated from the museum of natural history rather than of art. These are his most controversial and most famous, but his other work also consists of sculptures, spot paintings and spin paintings. His way of using the natural world in his work is very fascinating. I won't go any further, but if you would like to learn more about him or check out some of his work, the links are below his photo.

Ellie Drotning- Post #3

Hey everyone- here's a photo of my drawing since there wasn't quite enough time to get to it in class. It's Eleanor of Aquitaine, and she was a queen of France, Spain and her own Duchy of Aquitaine as well. She led a band of 300 women in the Crusades, and once I finish the drawing there will be a line of the woman she led standing in the background. She was a very powerful and strong woman, so I tried to depict her as such. The animal she's holding is supposed to be a lion cub, and yes, baby lions have some spots, but I just can't seem to get it to look like a lion. Even before I added the spots it didn't look right, so I'm still working on that. I chose to include the lion cub as a sort of symbolism. Her son is Richard the Lionheart, and the lion is a symbol of England. Please give me any suggestions/critiques you might think of. Thanks so much everyone!!