beth brinkley- sketchbook post 11

graphicnovels.jpg
This image started my idea for my graphic novel. I really like the solid color and it fits my story which is about a girl who has a dream about dancing and wakes up semi-stuck in her dream and unaware that she could be embarrassing herself greatly. Its got a funny-esque feel to it. I think that im going to go "the extra mile" and include color.

Luke Mills Sketchbook 11

smalldeer postcard.jpg

The text on the card talks about fishing and 7 pet frogs. So I had the idea that maybe the kid got pulled through a portal into hell while he was fishing and captured a demon and turned it into a pet frog on each level of hell while making his way out.

The story would start with him getting dragged overboard, underwater, and then through a portal into hell by somthing pulling on his line. In hell he follows the fishing line which leads to a passage to the next level which is guarded by a demon. The kid is not at all intimidated and turns him into a frog to keep as a pet... because he can. I will probably only show a full encounter with one demon, then show the kid moving to the next level and end with an aquarium filled with 7 strange looking frogs so the reader can infer what happened and I can fit the story to a manageable page count.

I am thinking about using sumi ink and brush for illustrating to give it a surreal dreamy kind of atmosphere, though i might just do that for the backgrounds and then draw the characters in pen. I need to play around for a while to see how things look & feel. Also, right now I'm planning to tell the story entirely with the visuals, so no text.

Jeff Stuart

IMG_0006.JPG
i was just drawing, trying to come up with interesting images and figures for my graphic story

Sketchbook 11 - Karen De Queiroz

2.JPG

I picked the postcard with a woman named Helen writing to Vaughn (the one with the pomegranate shape picture of two girls.) What I plan for my story is this:

Helen, Mary, Vaughn, and Frances are all showgirls. Vaughn and Frances want to go "bigger" but Helen and Mary don't think it's a good idea. What pushes Vaughn and Frances to the final decision is a scene where the curtains open and there is only 5 people in the audience. They cry because it's upsetting, so they go to another city to find a better job in the show business. Helen and Mary stay and become baby sitters or something.
Vaughn and Frances find a theater that is looking for one showgirl for the main part of a dance, so they have to compete against each other. Frances win, Vaughn gets jealous, and murders her. The story ends with Vaughn reading the postcard, with the words "Have you heard from Frances" in bold.

Sketchbook11 Lisa Reed

lisapc01.jpg

Continue reading "Sketchbook11 Lisa Reed" »

Sketchbook 11 - Laura Peterson

postcards front.jpg

this is the postcard i am going to use for my graphic novel. the text on the other side reads:
Dear Bruce,
We saw the Ocean. Were
the waves
ever big.
Jerry M
it's addressed to Master Bruce Seebeck

for my style i want to use the dark shadow feel, like the tree is in the picture, with colorful/more detailed backgrounds. for my story i'm developing a story line around Master Bruce being a jewel thief who sends his sniveling assistant Jerry M on his missions to get the jewels. The message on the card will be a code message for Jerry to let Bruce know he got the goods.

Myhli - Sketchbook 11

myhli11.jpg
I will be using the postcard above. When reading the postcard it felt like old friends who had lost touch with one another and the one writing the postcard, Rosa, is trying desperately to keep the friendship she has with Anna (the receiver). So my narrative will be about two friends who as kids promised to attend a catholic college together when they get older (idea from the front of the postcard that says St. Mary's). But as people grow ideas and views change, Anna decides not to attend a Catholic school so Rosa says some harsh stuff because she feels that a valued promise had been broken. As for the drawings I think I will be using a lot of flashbacks to help build up the story and bring more emotions into these two characters.

Sketchbook 11-Jenny Olson

backpostcard1.jpg

postcard1.jpg

This is the post card that I am planning on using for my graphic novel. My idea came to me after reading about the Ganges river and the problem that has been going on for some time now with people dumping dead bodies into it and tanneries not disposing of chemicals properly and raw sewage getting dumped into it as well. (While it's not the only place on Earth that is heavily polluted, it happens to be what I was reading about the other day). Anyway, my narrative is about the two girls in the picture that were on a ship when it sank, but they survived and made it to a remote island that had been inhabited by other people. With the worsening situation of the environment they have had to create ways to sustain themselves. One such way is living in a bubble that protects them from the harsh particles that are in the atmosphere. This is just the beginning. I'm working on developing the idea and am already looking at changing the narrative.

Sketchbook 11 - buck

post card:

Front reads: Calls are what get results
Back reads: Dear Luella: Thank you very much for the grand assortment of postmarks you have sent me. Say I have a little friend that would like to exchange cards. Here name is Neoma Burnham.

Sincerely, Nita

Sketchbook 11 - Jarid Johnson

These are designs for a logo and heading that I am working on for a new theater company in the twin cities area. If you have any ideas or criticism send em my way.

Sketchbook 11 - Karl Noelle

My graphic novel was inspired by the postcard below. I got the idea during our brainstorming session. I'm going to have the writing on the back of the postcard be secret FBI code for an undercover cop that is communicating some type of secret information to his superior.

The story will start out with the undercover cop watching some drugs or illegal items being traded or dealt. Then the cop will go to his room and write the postcard. I haven't decided on the age of this undercover cop yet, since the handwriting is very "child like" and the sentences don't show a high level of thought or intelligence.

Anyway...I'm thinking that the undercover cop will end up being discovered and abandoned in the middle of nowhere by the drug lords.

-smalldeer postcard_back.jpg

-smalldeer postcard_front.jpg

Sketchbook 11 - Dusty Fields

For the graphic novel, I will be creating a story about a boy who is haunted by "killer" waves. I got the idea from the postcard with the boy describing the large waves. I pictured this boy seeing the waves and thinking they are evil and out to get him.

Because the photo on the postcard was taken from "17-mile" drive, I would like the story to start with a family in a car driving alongside the ocean. The boy is in the back seat and is observing the "killer" waves. The waves will sneak onto land and alongside the car, frightening the boy. The parents don't notice because every time they look back, the waves disappear.

While at the hotel room, the boy is writing the postcard about the large waves. An evil wave sneaks up to the window of the hotel room...

I'm not sure where to take it from there. Here is an example of a cover I did in illustrator.

killerwaves.jpg

Danielle Warzala - sketch 11

For this entry I would like to share with you the script I came up with for the graphic novel assignment. I picked the postcard with the three white-tailed deer on the front. The message on back read:

Dear Grandma and Grandpa
I have seven pet frogs.
I am catching lots of fish.
Love, Rod

The first shot is of a spaceship and you can't tell who is inside it, but talk bubbles are saying ...
"It's time to put our evil plan to action." and "The earthlings will never know what hit them."

Then I want to cut to a shot of alien frogs. One smart and diabolical looking, the other quite the opposite.
The slow talking one says, "Uh........Martin? What exactly is our evil plan?"

Then to a picture of Martin the frog saying,
"I went over this with you a thousand times, Marvin! We find an innocent, feeblish earthling child to fall victim to our devilish mind control powers. Then, in a bout of our extreme intelligence we take what we want & BOOM! ..... Earth will never be the same again."

Then a picture of Marvin. Scratching his head thoughtfully,
"Oh, yeah."

Now a picture of the control room of the spaceship with earth huge in the window. The seven frogs backs to the viewer looking at the earth another anonymous frog says,
"Alright, it's time to land."

A shot of the spaceship careening down to earth. Talk bubble says, "Ahhhhhhhhhhh!"

Then a picture of the crashed spaceship on land. Talk bubbles coming out saying things like,
"Ribbit" "MARVIN!" and "Sorry."

Next a picture of the frogs outside the crashed spaceship in a group with Martin in front pointing and him saying,
"Alright everyone, looks like we're in luck! There's a small ignorant-looking boy straight ahead!"
Everyone else simultaneously, "Let's get him!"

Now a picture with 7 frogs surrounding the boy who says,
"Aw! What cute STUPID little frogs!"
The frogs all have their eyes closed and are saying, "mmmmmmmmmmm" (they are trying to use their mind control powers)

Next a picture with the boy really close to one of the frogs saying,
"They look like they're sleeping ....... such stupid frogs."

Now a close-up picture of the little boy's "Dennis the Menace type face" (face with an evil evil expression and also he's also holding a scissors) and a talk bubble that says,
"Come here little froggie woggies!! We are going to have lots of fun!!!"

next close up of the scissors cutting a rope
Snip!

Then a picture of a huge net falling over the frogs that appear to be meditating but are trying to use their "mind control powers" Swoosh!
"HA HA HA HA" evil laugh from little boy over the shot.

A picture of the little boy walking away carrying the frogs in a net. Talk bubbles coming from the net,
"Uh......Martin?" and "WHAT?!"

Lastly, a shot of all the frogs squished in the net, legs, feet, arms, and hands everywhere and Martin and Marvin's faces squished close together.
"Is this what you meant by Earth will never be the same again??"

THE END!

Front of postcard

postcard.jpg

back of postcard

back postcard.jpg

Continue reading "back of postcard" »

sketchbook 11-Jennie Carley

sketchbook11

I'm choosing to use the postcard with the woman standing alone on the front written to Pam. My storyline uses the fact that the card was mailed to a P.O. box instead of an address and Pam is a homeless person. The two frames at the bottom are my start to describing her, living in a box and covering up with a newspaper. The other part of the card that I wanted to focus on was that "Al" is having health problems but the reading was a little hard to understand so I'm making up a plot where "Al's" wife is the writer of the card and he is forcing her to tell his sister that everything is ok. Still working on how it ends, any ideas?