The Graduate School is pleased to announce that doctoral students will schedule their doctoral final examinations with the Graduate School online.
Doctoral Final Examinations Online Scheduling
The Graduate School is pleased to announce that effective fall semester (September 8, 2009) doctoral students will schedule their doctoral final examinations with the Graduate School online. Electronic scheduling of doctoral final oral exams is part of the GSSP office's continuing efforts to improve our services for graduate students, faculty, and staff. Benefits of electronic scheduling include the elimination of the hard-copy Final Oral Examination Scheduling form, and improved communications among the GSSP office, the doctoral student, and the student's graduate program office throughout the final doctoral exam scheduling and authorization process.
We wish to thank the graduate students and DGS assistants who participated in the development of the new scheduling process. Their feedback was instrumental in creating the most convenient, user-friendly, and transparent process possible. We are also very interested in your comments, questions, and concerns regarding the effectiveness of electronic doctoral final oral exam scheduling. Your reactions not only will help us to identify any future modifications that may be needed, but will also inform our decisions as we create other electronic processes.
How the electronic exam scheduling process works:
1. Doctoral students are expected to schedule their final oral exams with the GSSP office at least one week in advance. This continues current practice.
2. The electronic scheduling process must be initiated by the student. To do so, the student clicks on the Final Oral Examination Scheduling link listed on GSSP's doctoral forms web page.
3. From the Final Oral Examination Scheduling page, the student clicks on the link to schedule the exam, and then logs in using their Internet ID and password.
4. The student enters the final oral examination date and clicks "submit." (Note that all other required student information fields are automatically populated via PeopleSoft.)
5. The GSSP office will notify the student by email regarding any outstanding final oral exam requirements, and how to fulfill those requirements. The student will also receive confirmation from the GSSP office upon the Graduate School's authorization of the final oral examination. This continues current practice.
6. The DGS assistant will now automatically be copied on all of the above-mentioned emails so that the graduate program office is informed of the Graduate School's review and authorization of their student's final oral exam.
For More Information
If you have questions about the new final oral examination scheduling process, please contact Stacia Madsen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Detailed doctoral degree completion procedures are available on GSSP's web site.