The Center for Writing Annual "Commenting On & Grading Student Writing: A Workshop for Teaching Assistants" will be held August 29th & 30th from 1:00-4:00pm in room 275 Nicholson Hall. In this 2-afternoon seminar, new and veteran teaching assistants will have opportunities to become familiar with strategies and resources supporting effective commenting and grading practices. The workshop is free but registration is required. Click here to register or continue reading for more info.
Important information related to registration:
registration is required: http://writing.umn.edu/myC4W. registrants are expected to attend both days, TAs must register themselves, and a letter of participation will be provided for those who complete the seminar.
Brief description: In this 2-afternoon seminar, new and veteran teaching assistants will have opportunities to become familiar with strategies and resources supporting effective commenting and grading practices. More specifically, they will...
• become familiar with the attributes of MINIMAL marking,
• practice commenting on a diverse sampling of student writing,
• discuss methods for identifying and using fair grading criteria and for working with criteria supplied by others,
• practice assigning grades to an array of of student writing from social sciences, sciences, humanities, etc., and
• learn strategies recommended by a panel of experienced TAs.
This workshop has been well received by graduate students in the past; many indicate that it provided them with pragmatic, foundational response practices. Please forward thismessage to any interested graduate student TAs.
Looking forward to another lively workshop!