Excellence in Teaching Award: The Graduate School has been invited to nominate one master's student and one doctoral student for the Excellence in Teaching Award, administered by the Midwest Association of Graduate Schools (MAGS). Graduate programs are invited to nominate one candidate, and then the Graduate school will choose one candidate in each category to put forward for the award. If interested in applying, please notify the department by Thursday, December 27th.
The Graduate School has been invited to nominate one master's student and one doctoral student for the Excellence in Teaching Award, administered by the Midwest Association of Graduate Schools (MAGS). The competition is open to all graduate students who have teaching appointments and who are enrolled in a member institution at the time of application.
We invite each graduate program to nominate one master's student and one doctoral student. A PDF nomination package should be submitted to the Graduate School Dean's Office, firstname.lastname@example.org, by 12 noon on Friday, January 11, 2013. No hard copy is required.
If interested in applying, you must notify the Melanie Steinman at email@example.com by Thursday, December 27th in order to determine internal deadlines and to discuss compilation of the file.
The PDF nomination file should include the following documents in the order listed below (one PDF document per nomination):
1) Letter of support from the nominating department head
2) Nominee's Teaching Portfolio -- Headings are strongly recommended and appreciated:
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Evidence of instructional design and innovation, instructional delivery, course management, and student learning
- 10 minute video clip of nominee's "Teaching in Action": (see http://z.umn.edu/magsvideosubmission for instructions) - Evidence of how research informs your teaching
3) Student Evaluation of Teaching: Courses taught and number of students, instructional responsibility, and a summary of student evaluation of teaching data (not the forms).
4) Awards and honors for Teaching Excellence
5) Evidence of Effective Student/Colleague Mentoring
6) Current Curriculum Vitae
7) Current Institutional Transcript
Excluding the letter of support, vitae, and transcript, the nomination is limited to six (6) pages, double spaced. Primary consideration will be given to nominees with an excellent teaching portfolio and student evaluations.
MAGS will select one master's student and one doctoral student. Each will receive a citation and a $750 honorarium that will be given at the annual meeting of the Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools.
NOTE FROM AMERICAN STUDIES: Although the qualifications for this award appear to be only for those currently teaching, we have checked with the Graduate school and verified that you do not need to hold a current teaching position to apply.