« Online Registration | Main | Shutting off extra voicemail options... »

Library Tutorial

There is a new video tutorial available on how to use the University Libraries from a remote location. It is created by yours truly, so you can adjust your expectations accordingly. It is about 9 minutes long and shows how you can find and read many journal articles online. Although many of you certainly already know how to do this, some of us went to school back in the card catalog days* (myself included!) so could use a refresher. According to their website, use of online tools increased 800 percent between 1995 and 2004. The library is definitely functioning differently than when most of us first learned to use it.

The tutorial is made in a program that we just bought here, Camtasia. If any of you have any use for this type of screen capturing software, I recommend it and would be happy to chat with you about it. I am planning on doing several video tutorials (or toots, as I like to call them) in the future, including a series on My Programs. If you have any ideas for a new toot, please pass them along!

*Do you wonder what happened to all those acres of wooden card catalogs? They sold them. My brother bought one for $40 and uses it to store his Grateful Dead bootleg tapes in a very non-hippie-like strictly organized and catalogued fashion. The U sells all kinds of cool stuff at their annual Reuse Auction. I, personally, have always wanted a library style newspaper rack in excellent condition. But I'm (as you're catching on) funny about libraries and their accoutrements. But maybe what you're looking for is more along the lines of your own personal parking booth?