Recently in Notable and Analysis Category

Diversity Analysis

The article I looked at for this week's analysis was from the Washington Post. It was a set of mini-features from Holy Week around the world.

In my opinion, the story depicts the different ways Easter was celebrated around the world pretty clearly- sans stereotyping. I thought the pictures did a great job of doing that.

The piece moved away from stereotyping, because it showed how many different cultures appreciated Easter, in multiple formats. Some cultures used parades, some used passion plays, and some used prayer.

There wasn't anything in the story that I would have expected, which is what I feel would have been stereotypes.

Numbers Analysis

For my numbers analysis, I used Miguel de la Madrid's obituary, from CNN.

The story used numbers in three different ways. It listed his age when he died. It listed the years he served as president of Mexico. It listed his term.

The numbers were not overwhelming, they fit perfectly into the story. No, the reporter did not use math, these were not statistics to be crunched. Yes, they are listed completely.

Obit Analysis

The obituary I used for my analysis was for Lincoln Hall, from the LA Times.

Lincoln Hall dies at 56; climber survived Mt. Everest ordeal

The obituary used Hall's quotes, his book, his website, newspaper articles about him, a magazine article about him, and other people's quotes about him.

The article did not use a standard lead, however I think it adds to the story. The alternative lead is about the reason he's famous.

The obituary is different from a resume because it goes beyond accomplishments and proficiencies. It tells the story behind his quirks and famous aspects. The obit also includes information provided from other people.

Speech Analysis

For my speech analysis, I found a story from USA Today written about Obama's United Auto Workers' speech.

The story gave a critical look at Obama's politics behind the speech: whether he was actually just addressing the American public, or if he was getting into campaign mode.

The reporter gave both sides to the argument, and facts backing up why either could be true.

Overall, there is no exact answer to the critical analysis made by the reporter. He leaves the interpretation up to the reader. I think that is how the reporter goes beyond the story to help display the importance of the speech.

Multimedia Analysis

The two news organizations I compared for this entry were the Pioneer Press and the Washington Post.

Both multimedia options feature photos, local videos, and national videos.

The Washington Post's multimedia options are certainly greater than the Pioneer Press. The Press, as a local news organization, is more focused on local news. The Post is a national affiliate, and therefore has more news covering the national level.

Multimedia options do a great job of presenting a story through photographs or video instead of words.

The language in multimedia stories is different, it doesn't always have to be past-tense. The captions describe what is going on in the pictures, while still progressing the story forward by saying how that picture relates to what the story is about.

Spot/Follow Analysis

An example of a story that progressed from breaking news into follow-up is news on the Costa Concordia.

When I first blogged about it, I used the Associated Press and CNN as sources for my blog. The 'breaking news' concept was that salvage was given the go-ahead. Whereas now, the stories that make the news about the Costa Concordia are about the passengers.

For example, the newest news stories on the Costa are about the missing couple from Minnesota.

The follow-up stories are more likely to be profiles on victims. They advance the news by bringing in more detail and personifying the events, or expanding on stories from competing news organizations.

In breaking news, the lead is a hard, one sentence summary of the article. Breaking news also tends to follow the inverted pyramid.

Follow-ups are written much more freely, and don't need to hit all the hard news right away.

Structures Analysis

The news story I looked at for my structures analysis was from the Associated Press.

3 in SE Minn. injured when chairlift falls 30 feet

This story starts with a lead, which describes what happened, who it happened to, and where it happened.

The next paragraph goes into more detail about the location of the accident and when it occurred.

The third paragraph of the piece talks about the victims of the accident and their conditions following their 30 foot fall in a chairlift.

The rest of the article talks about the police report and the investigation of why their chairlift broke.

The important elements to this story are definitely near the top, which helps enforce the inverted pyramid story-structure. I believe it is very effective in this situation because the article is short, and it's breaking news.

I don't believe this story could have been done differently, because there aren't that many details included in the article. Had the reporter talked about the victims or the resort more, than the story-structure could definitely be more of a martini glass structure.

Sources and Attribution Analysis

The story I chose to analyze for this week's task is a political story following the caucus results, from the Washington Post.

Mitt Romney wins overwhelming victory in Nevada Caucuses

This story references seven sources. Four of the sources are trackbacks to the Post's political blogs, about the different candidates. Two sources are previous news stories about election results, like in Florida. Finally, the Post also quotes an article from CNN multiple times.

The use of these sources was spread throughout the three pages of story.

I liked how the sources were referenced and I thought it was very effective. The words were linked to other pages, and the article rarely used "according to," or similar attribution techniques, which can sometimes detract from the article.

Leads Analysis: Twin Cities courtrooms ramp up security

By Alyssa Anderson

"Security in courthouses was being examined across the Twin Cities before a gunman shot a prosecutor and a witness last month at a northern Minnesota courthouse."

"But now, local politicians are paying more attention to pleas to improve safety," as from the Pioneer Press.

In my opinion, this news lead works well as a hook for the story on courtroom security in the Twin Cities because it uses 4 news elements.

This lead is timely, because the security bump is happening following an attack in a courtroom last month.

The lead also shows conflict, because it reports a gunman shooting a prosecutor and a witness.

Consequence is shown in this lead, because the bump in security is happening following the shooting.

Finally, this lead displays proximity because the shooting was an in-state event, and courtroom across the state are raising their security levels.

The lead uses the 4Ws: who, what, where, and when, which gives it detail. However, it doesn't go into answering why, because that would be too detailed.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Notable and Analysis category.

National News is the previous category.