ę DeLay, and not the former motto of FEMA | Main | Tonight I'm Dreaming Ľ

Odds Are Against You Being a Sexy, Fit Old Person!

Despite my passion for long distance running and fitness, a recent study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine blasted my reality of staying in excellent shape forever. I decided to put down the half-gallon ice cream box while I explain the study results to you, literally.

Researchers at Boston University suggest that 9 in 10 men, and 7 in 10 women, will become overweight over time. Even people who do not have a weight problem entering middle age are at high risk, as half of those studied who fit this category eventually became overweight. The results add to a growing body of evidence that underscores the need for prevention and treatment strategies.

The researchers followed 30,000 white adults for thirty years. Participants were ages 30 to 59 at the start of the study and were examined every four years. By the end of the study, more than one-third of the study participants had become obese (defined as a BMI over 30. The findings were published in the October 4 Annals of Internal Medicine.

The study shows that overweight and obesity may be a bigger problem than previous studies, which examine only a cross-section of the population at one point in time, suggest. Those snapshots of obesity have found about 6 in 10 American adults are overweight and 1 in 3 are obese.

This study is one of only a few that has tracked individuals over an extended period. The results may understate the magnitude of the risk among the general population since minorities, who have a higher risk of obesity, were not included in the study.

I guess you can reason that getting old is very detrimental to physical health; furthermore, increasing risks of harmful aliments such as cardiovascular disease. It has to be slightly depressing being 80 and trying to look like a stud in the mirror each morning.. The image of the excessive wrinkles over the once washboard-stomach probably isnít much motivation to go run eight miles. I decided to finish my ice cream, Iíll worry about the odds at a later time.

Posted by ande4192 at October 21, 2005 5:00 AM | Medical Research

Dang... So being 39, I have little of any chance of being in shape enough to meet some hot stud like ande?...LOL Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that I used to run and used to run a lot. I've run and finished more 5- and 10-K's than I'll ever remember plus got almost an entire summer's worth of t-shirts from all of them. I've also run and finished 3 Twin Cites Marathons. Hopefully that would give you an idea of how fit I once was. That was several years ago that I ran. I could use to lose some 15 to 20 pounds I suppose...if I lost my belly and toned up, I might be quite that catch...not that I can't go a few rounds now, but at 39 years of age, one has to have an edge on all the hot twink boys out there :) Have a marvelous day y'all!

Posted by: "Jeremy" at October 26, 2005 9:40 PM

are you dead? seriously, im calling up becky as i type and asking if you are at miller huebel. oh wait, i AM becky, so i should know. but what the world lou lou, where you at..what you doing...who you with? I MISS YOU...CALL ME!!! im worried!! do you not like me anymore? am i not your best friend anymore? do i have to go get my poop brown ford taurus from the junkyard and drive it up to the cities and get you? i love you! call me!!

Posted by: Emma at November 1, 2005 2:43 PM