ę August 2005 | Main | November 2005 Ľ

Odds Are Against You Being a Sexy, Fit Old Person!

Despite my passion for long distance running and fitness, a recent study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine blasted my reality of staying in excellent shape forever. I decided to put down the half-gallon ice cream box while I explain the study results to you, literally.

Researchers at Boston University suggest that 9 in 10 men, and 7 in 10 women, will become overweight over time. Even people who do not have a weight problem entering middle age are at high risk, as half of those studied who fit this category eventually became overweight. The results add to a growing body of evidence that underscores the need for prevention and treatment strategies.

The researchers followed 30,000 white adults for thirty years. Participants were ages 30 to 59 at the start of the study and were examined every four years. By the end of the study, more than one-third of the study participants had become obese (defined as a BMI over 30. The findings were published in the October 4 Annals of Internal Medicine.

The study shows that overweight and obesity may be a bigger problem than previous studies, which examine only a cross-section of the population at one point in time, suggest. Those snapshots of obesity have found about 6 in 10 American adults are overweight and 1 in 3 are obese.

This study is one of only a few that has tracked individuals over an extended period. The results may understate the magnitude of the risk among the general population since minorities, who have a higher risk of obesity, were not included in the study.

I guess you can reason that getting old is very detrimental to physical health; furthermore, increasing risks of harmful aliments such as cardiovascular disease. It has to be slightly depressing being 80 and trying to look like a stud in the mirror each morning.. The image of the excessive wrinkles over the once washboard-stomach probably isnít much motivation to go run eight miles. I decided to finish my ice cream, Iíll worry about the odds at a later time.

Posted by ande4192 at 5:00 AM

DeLay, and not the former motto of FEMA

Abraham Lincoln, the first Republican to win the white house in 1860, would be extremely disappointed with the party that he set most of the foundational groundwork for. I highly doubt he intended for ruthless corruption to take over the political party he fought so hard to build.

Itís official; the corruption within the Republican Party is finally surfacing. Wednesday a Texas court issued a warrant for former House Majority Leader Tom Delay to appear for booking at the Fort Bend County Jail.

Felony charges are pending in regards to allegations that a DeLay-founded Texas political committee funneled corporate money into state GOP legislative races through the National Republican Party. Texas law prohibits use of corporate money to elect state candidates.

Of course DeLay is responding with the new Bush-induced motto of the Republican Party, ď I deny any wrongdoing.Ē

The effort had major political consequences, first by helping Republicans take control of the Texas Legislature in the 2002 elections. The Legislature then redrew congressional boundaries according to a DeLay-inspired plan, took command of the state's U.S. House delegation and helped the GOP retain its U.S. House majority.

This is another rung taken off the Bush support ladder, directly under the missing rung from the endorsement of Miers. Bushís support from fellow Americanís trust is disintegrating, already suffering from the lowest support rating of his presidency, according to the latest Gallup Poll conducted October 13th-16th, 2005, a mere 39% supporting his performance.

Posted by ande4192 at 3:27 PM