MDG!

Looking into the presentations of the Millennium Development Goals, two projects stood out to me as being striking. I especially liked the honors presentations, specifically Kelly and Broc’s version of Goal 8. They focused on Somalia, specifically investigating the development of communication technologies. It was astounding to note that 10% of this area is using technology which is known to be common across the world. Africa has seen a huge growth in modern communications. The images which they presented were really weird to see, it’s odd to see a man wearing traditional Somali dress while talking on a cell phone. I feel hypocritical in saying this, who am I to say what’d odd? I’ve been called odd many a time…
Some stats from their presentation which stood out to me were: for every African with a landline telephone, three more are using cell phones, over the past six years, the number of people using cell phones jumped from 15,000 to 6 million. Sadly, I never think about things such as communication in other countries, so this was a completely new concept for me.
I liked their approach to wireless internet connection: it all made sense. Skip the older technology, just bring them the good stuff. It will be cheaper in the long run, and the other technologies are becoming outdated, thus making it more painstaking to replace when we could just be introducing.
How exciting was it to see the $100 laptop?! I feel that this is a great idea. Through this product, the kids can foster a special kind of learning environment which engages their culture more readily than other possible forms of technology. The view that children are our most important natural resource is valid in my eyes…educating them now means a promising tomorrow. That sounds super cheesy, by the way. :)

Moving on to my second MDG reflection, I find myself intrigued by a certain Goal 7 presentation. The group approached the topic by looking into sustainable design in affordable housing for Minneapolis. I found their ideas very future forward and focused, while still keeping reality in perspective. It was alarming to hear about the redevelopment statistics, specifically the massive amounts of energy which is consumed in that process.
It’s so true that the renovations are attempts to bring about newer, younger residents. One can see this exaggerated in downtown Minneapolis. Known for its hip and trendy qualities of life these days, I’m sure this area was not always viewed in that light. When searching for apartments in that area, all I saw were features which young, hip yuppies would enjoy…not too much going on for the bag lady.
How amazing is it that just by installing different light bulbs or using different washing machines, we can make an impact on our environment, let alone a positive one! I feel that this group did a great job in investigating simple ways which any one of us could do; it helped me see how I can change too. Thinking about the future is exciting, especially if you know you’re making a smaller footprint than generations before. These project presentations helped me to see that every little bit helps and counts, so I should not make excuses for being unhelpful when it comes to things like child mortality and our environment.

Project Designs

Download file

Download file

Download file

Taking Note

Inspiration for this oh-so-abstract class could be taken from anything, literally. Here’s a list of things I came up with when I initially saw the blog post:
Movies, musicals, surveys, music performances, websites, fundraisers, blogs, photojournalism, books, pamphlets, skits, slideshows, public service announcements, the guy singing on the street corner, maps, experiments, fossils, poems, newspapers, magazines, television, documentaries.

I feel that, for me, some of the most influential documentations I am inspired by are books, newspapers, photojournalism, and movies. I feel like this is how the majority of mankind would respond to such a question—inspiration comes from the things we pay attention to. These are the things I pay attention to.

newspaper.jpg

Newspapers have a clear impact on our world—they tell us the news, after all! Without them, I’d be stuck with straight up word-of-mouth news only (Sarah doesn’t own a TV). For my topic (sustainability), especially, there’s been a ton of debate about going green, sustainability, the lack of it, etc. Everyday, it seems that there’s a new gadget that is “green-certified,? or a celebrity getting on the environmental bandwagon, or a company claiming their positive impact on our environment. All these things, and more, come out of a newspaper. This documentation style will not only have tons of inspiration in its structure and form, but also in its content.
Everyone goes to the movies---we must like them, or be inspired by them, or something. Something keeps us going to them; otherwise we wouldn’t continue to spend 8 dollars to watch it on a big screen. The inspiration I feel like we could take from movies is not what the movies are about, but what keeps people drawn to them. They’re entertaining. Not too many people want to learn about sustainability and pay 8 dollars, so we must be able to some how make it apply to them. Using this baiting “trick,? as they do in the movies, we need to bring it close to home in order to captivate the seriousness of our millennium goal.

gadget.bmp
mouse.jpg

I think another documentation/presentation style which would be inspiring is a skit, musical, or play. This would remind us, regardless of the content, that we must be creative in order to find a solution to such a problem as making our world sustainable. We must love the questions, as Ozayr says. And in that love, we must also be fond with the creative process which brings about an answer. Much like the plot of a movie or play. The plot is about the process, it doesn’t just go from exposition to resolution—there has to be some conflict and a climax involved. There has to be an Aha! moment somewhere along the way, whether it be realizing just how hurtful you are to the earth, or realizing there’s a way to combat your bad history with recycling.
creativity.gif
Photos can be incredibly inspiring—whether they are joyous like wedding photos, or heartbreaking like pictures of undernourished children.
undernutrition.jpg
wedding.jpg
heartbreak.jpg

They speak to our mind’s eye, our soul, they bring us into the situation. I could, for instance, describe an afternoon on a tropical island, but with our desensitized winter nerves, it might be hard to understand the warmth of the sun. Look at a picture, though, and it’s easier to imagine ourselves in that place, feeling the rays beam on our skin. That’s the power of photography.
sun.jpg

At a loss

This blog prompt has me at a loss of words. The idea that the built environment affects me is so fundamental, yet for some reason I have a hard time explaining the reason behind its effectiveness and how it actually succeeds to change me in some way. For better or for worse, I get affected. That’s a crappy thing when you’re constantly surrounded by small hallways and dimly-lit classrooms whose chairs offer no emotional or back support. In terms of phenomena, I would say that me not being able to pinpoint or fully recognize the reason why I’m affected by my surroundings is in and of itself a form of phenomena, wouldn’t you agree?

I spend at least three hours of my day in this building:
bbcd.jpg

Isn’t that wonderful? It has a ton of windows which flood the studios with natural light; it has awe-inspiring curves and shapes. How interesting is it that the very building that I never get to sit down in actually turns out to be the most interesting to look at. I shouldn’t completely make that a statement: there are sometimes when, in modern, we are to “take in the surroundings.? That part of class gets a little too New Age-y for me, so I usually skip over it in my mind’s eye…haha. So, in that sense, it is not the building which is detracting me from being who I am, but the person who speaks for the building. I say, let the building speak for itself; don’t stamp your own agenda on it.

Now take a look at the University of Minnesota mall area. This area is the epitome of university, academic architecture. Columns and bricks in every building, huge doors, very intimidating and collegiate. northrop.jpg

At first, these places psych me out. After having classes in them, however, I feel as though they help me to distinguish between class types. At the Barker, I understand the moral code and laws. At Tate Hall, for example, I understand that the laws of Barker don’t apply. So, the buildings are used as a reference point for me to understand the placement of my behavior. For example, if I were to do an arabesque in the Barker, people would perhaps try and help my technique or applaud its beauty. In the physics building, they would be thinking, “that girl is crazy, what the heck is she doin’, get out of my way…? so on and so forth. So, in this sense, I’m thankful for these buildings’ surroundings and basic natures, because they guide me in my daily behavior.

Another example using the same buildings: Tate Hall and Barbara Barker Center for Dance. In terms of clockwork, this time. In Tate, time stops. In BBCD, it flies. This is a phenomenon all by itself. How does time feel differently in two different buildings? I don’t think this is something that can be fully comprehended. I just need to accept it as fact. Once I realize that this is true, how does it shape me? That’s a good question. I feel like it shapes me to become aware of my priorities in life; it shapes me to understand relativity better. I now understand that the professor is going to go on and on about the velocity of a cart down an incline, and it probably won’t change my life. But, I may finally understand how a movement fits into my body in that time which feels so short. So for me, I feel like I need to pay special attention to soak it all up. No matter fast or slow, these things are all important.

Opposition: physics and dance. If I understand the physics of a movement, does that better equip me to understand and absorb it into my dancing? Of course. Now moving back to buildings: I feel like the opposition between my home in Waseca and my dorm room in Middlebrook creates this super sense of inferiority. I have come to terms with the idea that I am the small fish in the big pond. middlebrook.jpg
The small, shared bathrooms. The fluorescent lighting. The hair on the rug that isn’t mine. The alarm clock that goes off in the morning that my roommate doesn’t turn off.
dormroom.jpg

This is my life, folks.

This is my environment. I’m not complaining, I did choose to leave out the good stuff—like a bunch of new friends, growing in my faith, finding a great church…these are all positive things which contribute to my ability to withstand the bad. Parts of my environment change me so much..for the better. I believe that the dorm room is one of those things. Yeah, it sucks to live there sometimes. But, through this environment I’m living in, I am better enabled to appreciate the environment I dwell in thereafter (which has to be better!). I am, ultimately, affected in the best way possible by the buildings by which I’m surrounded. I think this is, in part, due to the building. I also think there’s a certain amount of willpower used that allows me to take the best out of every situation. No matter what.
So, in asking how I’m affected, it’s really a tough thing to pinpoint. I don’t know where that line begins and where it ends. I’m only human! I don’t have the ability to pick apart an environment and determine its affect. Yes, I can derive minute details—like the overall feeling of the room, or how a wall's color changes my mood. I know that, in the end, I will never be able to fully grasp my environment’s affects. That’s alright by me, because I also know that I have the decision, and someday the ability, to eventually be the one who is doing the affecting.
This is a scary thing, I better understand how things affect me before I start affecting them. Maybe that's where bad architecture comes from...

Common Bond

I've only volunteered at my location twice, but already I've experienced something interesting. The environment at CommonBond is really awesome, the people were very helpful when I got lost in the tower. The layout of that building is messed up. My first experience as a homework center tutor was good: my supervisor said not to be discouraged if people didn't come to me the first night. He said sometimes it took a while for people to recognize you and ask for help. Seemed normal to me, trust takes time sometimes. My experience was exactly the opposite, though! I was ready to kinda kick back and relax, thinking that people wouldn't want/need my help. Little did I know!
It was so amazing how I felt like I fit in there. Right at six o'clock, a man was asking me for help with his sentence structure. How cool is that...
The second night was a little different, though. I didn't help anyone! The two women who needed help were learning English, and could not understand a word I said, and vice versa. Thankfully, another tutor who is Somali by descent came and helped. In turn, I ended up sitting for two hours. I hadn't brought any homework, because I thought it'd be swamped like the week previously! Haha..I guess I'll need to be ready for whatever comes.

Dancitecture in its truest form

In a totally unconstrained world, I would be able to completely transfer my thoughts to paper, to production in any form I choose. My guess is, most of the time, the form of which I would transfer my thoughts would be through dance and choreography. I am easily inspired by the visual appearance of choreography, however; there are fewer buildings which inspire ideas for choreography. And dance moves come much easier to me; they are easier to change and manipulate. I wouldn’t need to make models or drawings to understand the building. I would simply be able to choreograph the building into my memory through movement.
I would make music happen through motion and through stillness. I understand that I have the possibility of doing this now; however I have not learned to foster this into a capability. The ability to do such a thing is in our world, yet I’m not sure how my particular process can play out realistically. It is something I plan to explore for the rest of my days. Putting movement to paper, and paper to movement, and movement to structure, and vice versa? It is my dream! All of it, combined. Whatever it turns out to be…
I think that, though the architecture school format would be abandoned, I would still do massive amounts of my research within a studio, a dance studio. I feel like that is the easiest place to think of ideas. A wide open space just waiting to be filled with movement, shapes, tension, release—all these things are possible within such a space. Walking into a dance studio is freeing. Walking into an architecture studio is frightening.
archstudio.jpg

In an architecture studio, there is an intensity which scares me…sometimes it makes me question why people keep on chuggin’ through it. Though it is sometimes filtered with natural light, the architecture studio feels like a place of darkness and sometimes, suffering. I don’t completely hate this place; undoubtedly wonderful and amazing creations have sprung out of architecture studios. I just want to make it known that they have, at first, an unapproachable, impersonal atmosphere. Of course, these are my own fears. Some people wouldn’t know the first thing about how to go about interpreting a piece of choreography and transforming it into another work of art, and at the moment, I have little experience in the transformation part. However, I understand how to interpret a piece of work. And that’s the half of it, right? Some people walk into an architecture studio and think, “alright, let’s do this.?
I shouldn’t slam the architecture studio program, because I have no actual experience making models in the studio. I really don’t know how to start a foundation, or how to help a client meet his/her needs through sustainable design. Not as of today, anyways.

lightstudio.jpg

“Dance first. Think later.? I think this is an extremely powerful idea that I would apply, and will apply to both the design and dance process. So often we critique our own work and ourselves about things we think of. But in the dance studio, I can’t think the movement is stupid, because it’s coming from a place that I have no control over. Once I recognize that, the true design process is allowed to take place. I think there are so many things holding us back from getting to the true genius of our designs, and for me, dancing is the easiest way to let go of those things which I put into my head as roadblocks. Taking chances and messing around are so important to the early stages of the design process. We need to do it more.
I think this practice of transforming choreographic works into buildings and structures would be influential for my environment, because the effects of the ideas would be two-fold. People work in different ways. Not everyone would see the idea played out in the building, though they might understand it through a dance performance. The opposite is also true for others; they might find the building speaks more directly than the choreographic qualities. The venues of which the ideas are put into choreography could be different from the area where the transformation into a building occurs. At the same time, it would be amazing to perform a work about the same idea in the very space that conceived the idea for the choreography.
In this thought, maybe people would be enabled to better understand the things which surround them if they were to experience them in different arenas of life: walking downtown and noticing an interesting structure vs. watching someone tell that same story the structure did, just through a different venue.

rhythmtree.gif

This is the exciting thing: these possibilities are possible within reality! You and I have the chance to attempt all these endeavors, choosing to use our own constraints while staying within the laws of the universe. Defying gravity is possible; it just takes a certain amount of force and balance. If you can defy gravity, you can defy a lot of other things…like what other people think is a good way to approach architecture. As we’ve all seen, there seems to be a whole world of systems that attempt to find the perfect path to architecture. Let’s face it, there isn’t one. That’s why I’m boldly, yet with appreciation, forging forward into architecture…never forgetting to bring my best tools---my mind and body. With those things, gravity is defied. For me, it’s not through playing around with how far I can get a cantilever to go in the design studio, but understanding how to counterbalance my legs and arms so that I can sustain a movement for any given amount of time. These things inform me about architecture, about the laws of the universe; they allow me to take the knowledge I’ve acquired from the dance studio into the design studio. Maybe this way, architecture won’t be so scary.
dance.jpg

The idea that architecture comes from the mind to paper to model is not an idea I support. Ideally, I would go from body to mind to body again, and perhaps back to the mind. At one point, I would eventually come around to the building part. My process would not be a linear one, much like the world. The world is not linear, and as I’ve mentioned before, it is all connected. So in an unconstrained world, I would try to connect what I hold closest to my heart (dance and architecture) together, and somehow try to find a way to understand how both creative processes can uphold each other, and how they can feed into each other and into the world.

"Dance is the mother of arts. Music and poetry exist in time; painting and architecture exist in space. But dance lives in time and space at once."
-Unknown

My Values and Sustainability?

blog3.jpg

How do I describe myself when it comes to sustainability? Well, as the assignment says, I am supposed to find some pictures, make a playlist, and get some quotes. So, I did just that, but I don't think these things fully reflect my decision to choose sustainability. Honestly I chose sustainability to learn more about it, to learn what it's all about. I have no agenda for it already, so this research project is really just that. I expect to do research on it, and form an opinion on it thereafter. Not the other way around.

CO2PerCapita.png

I think the most influential song would be Who Am I by Casting Crowns--it talks a lot about how we are here today, gone tomorrow. This idea is nothing new, but it gives me a fresh reminder that nothing is guaranteed. Like the gift of life, and the earth. God gave us this earth so we would work it and dwell on it. I plan to investigate how we've worked and dwelled over the years, and how it has affected the earth which He gave us. Right now, I see sustainability as an overemphasized idea---everyone talking about the CO2 emissions needing to be reduced, but at the same time, it's just been found that the large amount of these emissions is jumpstarting the growth of forests and plants. Record growth has been discovered with direct correlation to CO2 emissions. So, I'm looking to figure out where my values and sustainability fit in, because right now I'm not completely sure. Sometimes sustainability seems to have a political agenda behind it---like Al Gore...the man talks about pollution and taking care of the earth when he travels in a private jet. I'm just trying to fit my beliefs about Jesus Christ and what He says in the Scriptures into this whole thing. Fitting a Christian mentality into a secular, politically-charged issue presents its own problems. You may feel like I'm being hypocritical, because last week I said that it's all connected. God, the environment, everything. And it is, totally and completely. I still and always will believe that, however, actually getting out there and putting my words into action requires more work---people must understand God's love before they can understand why hurting His earth is bad. First and foremost, it's bad because it hurts what God created for us. Yes, there are lots of other reasons. But as far as I'm concerned, that's all that matters. At the same time, one day we won't inhabit this earth..so we shouldn't become too attached to it. A couple of articles written on raptureready.com encouraged me in writing this blog:

The only lasting issue is whether each of us will be around to see the day when the lion lies down with the lamb and every stream runs crystal clear with pure water. Knowing that the earth will eventually be put back in order, we need to be concerned with the preservation of our eternal souls.
“For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?? (Mat. 16:26).
Any person who is truly a born-again child of God anticipating the rapture, and who has the attitude that he or she doesn’t care about our environment or in living as a good citizen, should earnestly check his or her Christian credentials. Jesus himself created this magnificent habitat. God said that it was “very good,? much like we might step back and look at a project dear to our hearts when finished in a pleasing fashion, and say to ourselves, “that is very good.? We are to care deeply about this earth upon which we have been placed. But, of course, we are not to worship it.

Another portion of an article from raptureready.com:
For some people, global warming has become a new religion. They pay homage to the god of conservation by purchasing energy saving bulbs; they view capitalists as the devil, and grant sainthood to people who share the gospel message.
This religion also has its hypocrites, like Al Gore, the reigning pope of environmentalism. When he went to deliver his famous warning at the U.N. Global Warming conference in Kyoto, Japan, he burned more than 439,500 pounds, or 65,600 gallons, of fuel flying on Air Force II. The most I've ever consumed in a single trip is 40 gallons. Oh, but there’s more:
• He has large stock holdings in Occidental Petroleum.
• Most of his personal property does not use green energy.
• He owns multiple homes, one of which is a 10,000-square-foot behemoth.
• While promoting his movie, he continued polluting the airways by traveling in his own private jet.

Now before you assume this article being too one-sided, I have something to say. I would say that you're right. It is one-sided. Because once you repent and have Jesus in your life, everything is His side. So for this man, though he may sound judgmental and offensive, he knows that the ultimate truth Jesus presents is and was offensive to most.
truth.jpg

He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather scatters.
- Matthew 13:20

Playlist:
Worthy is the Lamb by Hillsong
Life is Wonderful by Jason Mraz
Wonderful Maker by Jeremy Camp
Better is One Day by Kutless
Wheel by John Mayer
All Who Are Thirsty by Kutless
Agnus Dei by Michael W. Smith
Above All by Michael W. Smith
Beautiful One by By The Tree
How Great is Our God by Chris Tomlin
Who Am I by Casting Crowns

Open the Door

Finding a social-design issue isn't hard when you live in a city of over 300,000 people. What is hard, however, is finding one that you truly care about, one that you're willing to immerse yourself in, one that you're willing to advocate. There are very few things that get me fired up in this world, and many times, these things aren't about global warming or being green, or even being politically correct. No, these things are a part of a bigger so-called "social-design" issue.
The very word social has so many different meanings: 1) pertaining to, devoted to, or characterized by friendly companionship or relations: a social club 2) seeking or enjoying the companionship of others; friendly; sociable; gregarious 3) of or relating to human society, the interaction of the individual and the group, or the welfare of human beings as members of society --For these purposes, I'll be focusing on the third definition, specifically the welfare part. The welfare of our city, our nation, our universe. It is social on the biggest degree.

Now, this idea of it all being part of a bigger picture may have lost some of you along the way. So, I'll step back just a pinch--last Sunday in church my pastor was talking about how he was reading Clarence Thomas', the second African American Supreme Court Justice, memoirs. In these memoirs, Clarence was speaking about how he felt that the minister was preaching on an irrelevant topic. It wasn't applicable to him, he thought. My thought is this: it's all applicable. Global warming, yes. Abortion, yes. Huge mansions that overtake the rest of the neighborhood, definitely. It doesn't matter..they're all applicable, to us, and to a bigger thing than ourselves.
I'm an advocate for Jesus Christ, I can not deny it(nor would I want to!). He is the foundation in my life, and I want everyone else to understand how He can be for them too. I must confess, however, I do not live up to this idea of every ear hearing the Gospel. This is an issue! In fact, its part of the greatest social-design issue in history. Believers, myself included, are not sharing the Good News of Christ frequently enough! Once this happens, lives are changed. Not through us, but through Him.
We fill our lives up with being advocates for so many other things: be it environmental, social, design-related, etc. What I'm saying: it's all relevant, and it all doesn't match up to the love of Christ. Once we have that, and understand it, things will change. We will care about the environment, because we know that God created it for man and his dwelling. Ultimately, it's His world! And we will care about the uncared for: the homeless, the refugees, the illegal aliens, because we know that they are God's people too; they don't deserve the Good News of Christ like the rest of us. Don't deserve? That's right, we don't deserve God. That's what makes the Gospel so beautiful; we are sinners who don't deserve a holy and loving God. But we get Him anyways, becase He's kind and merciful. At the same time, don't make the mistake of thinking He's unjust. God practices ultimate justice.
The ultimate social-design issue is that we are separated from God, we were meant to be with Him. But because of our sin (it all started with Adam and Eve), we can not be. The solution to this design problem is Jesus Christ: he was the only person who ever could and did lead a perfect life. He was the perfect Lamb, the perfect Sacrifice. So, please don't be a Clarence Thomas and think that where you spend eternity is irrelevant, or not applicable for you. Because, whether you believe it or not, God exists. He has ultimate control over everything, and He is your God. You may not call on Him, but He's always at your heart's door.

Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.

-Revelation 3:20

Energy Transformation in an Urban Community

Let's examine Minneapolis, specifically downtown (be it Nicollet or 1st Ave), for its ability to transform. From the days of horse and buggy to the nights of Escalade limos, Minneapolis has always seemed to be where it's at, as they say. I believe that Minneapolis, as well as other urban communities alike, has/have the distinct ability to transform good and bad energy. Undoubtedly, in downtown, any girl can feel as though she were Mary Tyler Moore, joyously spinning round and round without a care. But just five minutes later, someone cheapens our dream by asking for $1.50 to get home for the night. Is this a flaw in society, did someone push a wrong button somewhere? This crucial moment forces us to ask, does our urban community have the ability to permeate through ideas about right and wrong, good or bad, useful, useless?

Watching the people go about their business on a Monday morning at 9:00 A.M. is quite interesting. Not good, not bad; simply eye-opening. I find myself judging people, not on purpose mind you, but the feeling is still there. Is that woman really homeless? Why does that grumpy suit walk around like he owns the place? I find that it's all a part of a system, we all have our place. On this day, I was probably viewed as the random chick on the bench who watches people. Creepy, right? Maybe, but my place was still important. If I hadn’t taken that step to be the person on the bench, I may have never noticed how our treatment towards one another affects this “energy system? in which we operate. If we don't have positions such as this, with respect to Goldsworthy's attentiveness, we can never find what's underneath.

We must understand that, when it comes to the idea of people being carriers of energy in a system, the carriers have the power. The system does not. The flow of energy can't be stopped, but it can be transformed. All of us, in our respective positions, need to carry good energy to flush out the bad. A so-called negative energy (i.e. corruption, homelessness, cruelty) doesn't get flushed out in our city of Minneapolis. We just neglect the energy and move on. By now, though, I think it's quite ignorant to avoid Newton's Law---energy can't be destroyed. So, while we go on with our days of neglecting the bad energy, it doesn't go away, it doesn't get destroyed. It sits, accumulating like a sticky, Minnesotan snowball. Eventually, it's like that itch in the back of your throat you can't reach. Eventually, we forget to even look for it or see it. But as we all know, just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there. So as I look at this idea of transforming energy from year to year, person to person, useless to useful, take your position. Be the creepy person on the bench who observes people, systems, energy flow. Because one day, that sticky snowball is going to run us good energy kids out of business.

I know that many of us feel as though we can have no impact on the world, that we don’t really have the ability to change things. A mentor once gave this comparison: if you were sitting in seat 12A on a crashing airplane, it’s your responsibility to get your oxygen mask on as well as seat 12B’s. It’s not, however, your responsibility to get seat 54C’s mask on. You see, by reaching out to the people we encounter, we can start to transform bad energy (or sticky, neglected energy) into good energy. I’m not saying Minneapolis isn’t a great place to live, because it is a great place to live. I’m saying that, in order to keep our system in equilibrium, we need to put our oxygen masks on and breathe. Help others to breathe, or help others to get home at night. Goldworthy’s attention to detail and intricacies in nature can give us inspiration to be sensitive to the ebb and flow of our own environment—be it downtown or otherwise. Let us not see the homeless man or woman on the street as a mishap in our system or a flaw in society. But let us just be compassionate enough to care about the sticky, neglected energy that they hold…and to transform it to a healthy, good energy which can sustain our environment and system so much more efficiently than we ever could on our own.

For photo of neglected energy: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.photographyblog.com/images/photo_of_the_week/28030405/Homeless%2520Dinner.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bestandworst.com/v/115204.htm&h=600&w=600&sz=60&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=h1iFwWy-4J6PuM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhomeless%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den